This Homemade Chip Dip recipe will be everyone’s new favorite!
This basic homemade version of chip dip has creamy basics like sour cream and mayo mixed with a few savory seasonings. It’s so quick and easy to mix together, and ready to serve in minutes. But feel free to get creative with the mix-ins and serve some brand new dips for chips every time!
Homemade Chip Dip
PIN IT to your DIPS & DRESSINGS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Dips For Chips
- Out of all the chip dip recipes, this will be the go-to because it literally goes with everything! It’s also super versatile for adding different flavors and seasonings, and the basic ingredients are almost always on hand.
- Make this deliciously creamy homemade chip dip ahead of time quickly and easily. And serve it straight from the mixing bowl!
- There are so many dips for chips, what makes this recipe special? Not only is it super easy, but there are so different ways to use it, other than as a dip for chips! Use it to dunk these tangy Oven Fried Pickles, savory Pork Bites or these tasty Pepperoni Pizza Rolls. So make a double batch because you will need it.
Ingredients and Variations
The key to a perfect dip is the combination of creamy ingredients and a little bit of flavor!
DIP BASE – Sour cream and mayonnaise create a rich and smooth base but other creamy ingredients like plain or Greek yogurt can be used in place of the sour cream. Miracle Whip dressing in place of the mayo will give the dip a sweet, tangy flavor.
SEASONINGS – The savory seasonings in this recipe are just a start. Switch up your dip by adding a few tablespoons of ranch or bleu cheese dressing, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, or maybe go a bit more hot and spicy and stir in a little taco or Cajun seasoning.
ADD-INS – Stir in some shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, chopped black olives, chopped green chiles, or sliced jalapenos. Give homemade chip dip a boost of nutrition by mixing in some shredded carrots or chopped spinach.
How to Make Chip Dip
When it comes to making homemade recipes, it doesn’t get any easier than this:
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a bowl (per recipe below).
- Cover, and chill before serving.
What Goes with Homemade Chip Dip
This deliciously creamy dip goes with potato chips, tortilla chips, crackers, even healthy veggies like raw celery and carrots. Try it with Oven Roasted Asparagus and Oven Roasted Cauliflower. Top these Loaded Mashed Potato Cups or some Air Fryer Frozen Burgers with a dollop of chip dip!
Best Dip Tips
- Use a whisk to make sure the sour cream and mayonnaise are thoroughly mixed together before adding the seasonings.
- Allowing the dip to chill helps the dry herbs soften up and brings out their best flavor.
- Store leftover homemade chip dip in a covered container for up to 2 weeks. Stir thoroughly before serving again.
Chip Dip Recipes
It’s so easy and fun to make homemade dip, why buy it at the store? Here are some recipes to inspire the imagination!
- Hissy Fit Dip – a warm cheesy dip.
- Cream Cheese Rotel Dip – tasty crockpot recipe.
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip – hearty and full of flavor.
- Dill Veggie Dip – also delicious with chips!
- Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Dip – for bacon lovers.
Homemade Chip Dip
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve with vegetables, chip, or crackers.
- Serving size is 2 Tablespoons
- Whisk sour cream and mayonnaise thoroughly before adding seasonings.
- Chill dip to allow flavors to blend.
- Refrigerate leftover chip dip in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.