These Mashed Potato Balls are a little bit of savory heaven!
Hot and creamy mashed potatoes are rolled in crispy bacon bits, then stuffed with green onion and cheese. Baked until golden with a gooey cheese center, this recipe is the perfect snack or appetizer. Bite into one of these loaded hot stuffed potatoes, then sit back, and enjoy!
Loaded Mashed Potato Balls
© CentsLess Meals
Pin it to your APPETIZER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Cheesy Appetizer
- These little potato balls are a delicious appetizer. Guests will love this unique and flavorful dish.
- This recipe is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes from last night’s dinner. Or better yet double the recipe of mashed potatoes with the next night’s meal (these potato balls) in mind!
- Whether these are being served as an appetizer or a side dish, serve them with gravy or veggie dip, cheesy chili dip, or onion dip.
Ingredients & Variations
BACON Make the bacon ahead of time and have it crumbled and ready on hand, or use bacon bits for a quick fix. No bacon? No problem, use panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese instead.
VARIATIONS This recipe calls for cheddar cheese, but don’t hesitate to switch this up and use other cheeses like gruyere or mozzarella. Substitute the green onion with chives or add a little onion powder.
How to Make Potato Balls
With a little work, these bite-size potato balls are the perfect appetizer or side dish.
- Make the potato mixture.
- Form into balls and press cheese into the center.
- Dip in egg mixture and roll in bacon bits.
- Bake as per the recipe below.
Serve them at a party with a combination of dips and they’ll disappear off the plate in seconds! So be sure to make lots.
Tips for Crispy Potato Balls
If potatoes are dry, add a little milk, water, or even sour cream to moisten. Be careful not to use too much. These potatoes should have a slightly sticky, dough-like texture making them easy to shape.
Leftovers? To reheat, preheat the oven to 325°F, place them in a baking dish covered with foil, and heat for about 10 minutes or so (checking that the bacon crumbles don’t burn.)
These potato balls will be done when the cheese starts to ooze out while they are cooking.
More Bacon Filled Appetizers
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball – the perfect combination of bacon & cheese!
- Bacon Cream Cheese Biscuits – ready in 15 mins!
- Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots – perfect finger food
- Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs – simple & super delicious
- BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites – 4 simple ingredients!
Loaded Mashed Potato Balls
- 2 cups mashed potatoes cold
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- ½ pound bacon cooked & crumbled, divided
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese cubed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Mix mashed potatoes, green onion, and ¼ cup of the bacon crumbles.
- Shape mashed potatoes into 1 inch balls.
- Put a cube of cheese into the potato ball and press potatoes around it until cheese is completely covered.
- Roll into a ball. Dip the ball into the eggs, then dredge in the bacon bits.
- Place onto a cookie sheet or baking dish.
- Bake at 375°F for 15- 20 mins or until cheese is oozing out.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.