This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Easy Taco Casserole will definitely dazzle your taste buds! It’s got all of the spicy flavor combinations you love, mellowed perfectly by the cream cheese and cheddar cheese (and a surprise crust that makes for a totally delicious and unexpected flavor). It’s a casserole that will be requested often in your household!
We love serving this taco casserole alongside some other tex mex favorites like spaghetti tacos. Taco night is always a great idea around here!
Taco Casserole – A Family Favorite
This dish is special not only because of its great blend of spicy and mellow flavors, but also because you can “customize” it in various ways.
The ground beef can easily be replaced with ground turkey. Or, consider making a chicken taco casserole by substituting shredded baked chicken (white and/or dark meat) for the ground beef. And of course you can serve this delicious casserole with tortillas on the side, with rice, or even with noodles — all of which make for a hearty meal!
How To Make Taco Casserole
The variety of salsa you use — mild, hot, chunky, salsa verde — is totally up to you, based on your taste and desired level of heat. Whatever variety you choose will mix beautifully with the cream cheese and cheese. Colby or Monterey Jack cheese can replace the cheddar cheese, and since there’s already some spiciness in the taco seasoning and salsa, you can even use a milder cheese like mozzarella.
What makes this an easy taco casserole is that it’s made in simple layers. Once your cream cheese is at room temperature, you can prepare your additional ingredients in a snap! And once you’ve cooked and drained the seasoned and crumbled ground beef, the fun really begins!
Here are a few extra tips:
- Evenly cover the entire greased bottom of your casserole dish with the crushed nacho chips.
- The cream cheese mixture will be a little thick, so use a spoon to top the ground beef mixture with the cream cheese mixture, and then lightly spread it out evenly.
- For extra flavor and color, toss in some chopped black olives or a few jalapeño peppers along with the shredded lettuce and tomatoes.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Taco Shepherds Pie – so delicious
- Spaghetti Tacos Recipe – another kid’s favorite!
- Taco Salad Bowls with Creamy Avocado Dressing – my favorite lunch
- Biscuit Taco Pockets – kids love these!
Ground beef, cheese and all of the fixin's in one delicious casserole.
- 1 lb ground beef cooked and crumbled
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups Doritos crushed
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes diced
Grease a 9x13 baking dish and add the crushed Doritos to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook ground beef and add taco seasoning as directed on the package.
- Spoon ground beef onto the crushed doritos.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, slowly add in salsa. Once thoroughly mixed, top ground beef with cream cheese mixture.
Top with 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Top cheese with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)