This easy Taco Casserole will dazzle your taste buds and definitely be requested often in your household!
Taco Casserole has all of the spicy flavor combinations you love from classic taco recipes, mellowed perfectly with cream cheese and cheddar cheese. And the best part? It has a surprise crust made with Doritos for a totally delicious and unexpected flavor sensation!
Taco Casserole – A Family Favorite
Creating a taco bar is always a fun and delicious way bring your family together at mealtime! But sometimes time is tight and you need something that delivers on taste, but is short on prep. And for times like these, this taco casserole with cream cheese definitely fits the bill!
Ingredients and Variations:
This dish is special not only because of its great blend of spicy and mellow flavors, but also because you can “customize” it in various ways.
- MEAT – create a chicken taco casserole by replacing the ground beef with ground, diced or shredded chicken breast. Chicken thighs will work well too, or try ground turkey for a lean option.
- CRUST – Doritos form the base for this casserole, but you can use plain tortillas or even try other flavored tortilla chips!
- SALSA – the variety of salsa you use, mild, hot, chunky, salsa verde, is totally up to you based on your taste and desired level of heat.
- CHEESE – Colby or Monterey Jack cheese can replace the cheddar cheese, and since there’s already some spiciness in the taco seasoning and salsa, you can even use a milder cheese like mozzarella.
- TOPPINGS – we love lettuce and tomatoes for this casserole, but don’t stop there! Peppers, beans, olives, avocado, green onion and jalapenos are all delicious toppings that everyone loves.
How To Make Taco Casserole
What makes this taco casserole with Doritos so easy? It has 4 simple layers, then add as many toppings as you like!
- Spread crushed Doritos on bottom of baking dish.
- Pan fry, crumble and season ground beef. Layer over Doritos.
- Blend cream cheese, mix in salsa and spread over beef layer.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake until hot and bubbly!
What Do You Serve With Taco Casserole
Taco night is always a great idea! And serving this taco casserole with other tex mex favorites like chicken enchiladas and grilled corn guacamole is a fun way to feed a hungry crew. You can always serve this delicious casserole with tortillas on the side, with rice, or even with noodles — all of which make for a hearty meal!
- Have all ingredients prepared and ready! Assembly will be a snap!
- Grease the bottom of your casserole dish before adding crushed nacho chips.
- Make sure cream cheese is at room temperature for easier blending.
- The cream cheese mixture may be a little thick, so spoon it over the ground beef mixture and then spread it out as evenly as possible.
What Can I Make With Taco Meat
- Taco Shepherds Pie – so delicious!
- Spaghetti Tacos Recipe – another family favorite!
- Taco Salad Bowls with Creamy Avocado Dressing – easy lunch!
- Biscuit Taco Pockets – kids love these!
- Spaghetti Tacos – super simple.
- Grease a 9x13" baking dish and add the crushed Doritos to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook ground beef and add taco seasoning as directed on the package. Spread over Dorito layer.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth, slowly add in salsa. Spoon over ground beef layer and smooth out evenly.
- Top with 1½ cups shredded cheese. Bake at 350˚ for 25-30 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
- Garnish with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and remaining ½ cup cheese.