Caramel Apple Dump Cake
Pin it to your DESSERT BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
What’s A Dump Cake?
Dump cakes are very much like traditional fruit cobblers and often served warm with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream on top. But unlike cobblers, you don’t need to mix up a batter.
As the name implies, a dump cake comes together by literally dumping a few ingredients into an oblong cake pan and mixing and layering them right in the pan. The whole thing is ready for the oven in about three minutes!
My yummy recipe for dump cake with apple pie filling and caramel uses these ingredients:
- Yellow cake mix
- Canned apple pie filling
- Caramel ice cream topping
- Salted butter
- Chopped pecans (optional)
- Cinnamon or apple pie spice (optional)
The beauty of a dump cake is that you can easily substitute other fruit fillings based on what you like, or just to experience several luscious varieties. Whatever fruit filling you use, your dump cake will always be a crowd-pleaser!
Here’s How I Make It
With only 4 main ingredients this caramel apple dump cake is quick and easy to make. The moistness of the apple pie filling binds perfectly with the dry cake mix to create a moist cake-crumble texture that is oh so delicious!
- Mix together apple pie filling and caramel right in the cake pan and spread evenly.
- Dump the dry cake mix evenly over pie filling.
- Pour melted butter over the top.
- Top with chopped pecans.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
Serve warm topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
Can I Use Fresh Apples?
For a more homemade taste you can definitely use fresh apples! This way you can adjust some of the sugars as well. Fresh apples have a tartness that can provide a welcome counterbalance to the sugariness of the caramel and cake mix.
If using fresh apples, you will need to cook them in advance.
- Peel, core and slice 8 medium apples.
- Place in a covered pan, with an inch of water. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2/3 cup sugar, or to taste.
- Cook until softened but not mushy, stirring occasionally.
To cook off most of the water, remove the cover toward the end.
To thicken the sauce, mix some corn starch in with the juices.
- Mix 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch with two tablespoons water.
- After about 5 minutes or when apples are slightly soft add the cornstarch mixture and continue cooking until thickened.
Can I Make This in Advance?
Most baked goods taste best served fresh. But yes, you can make caramel apple dump cake in advance.
- In the refrigerator, it will last up to a week if stored in a tightly covered container.
- In the freezer, it will last up to four months. Just slice into squares in the pan, then freeze. When hardened, transfer the squares into plastic freezer containers.
This caramel apple dump cake, served warm with whipped cream or ice cream, is simple to make, deliciously sweet, and immensely satisfying — exactly what we want our dessert to be!
Delicious Apple Desserts
Caramel Apple Snickers Pie – simple but of so delicious!
Caramel Apple Pie Bites with only 4 ingredients! – sweet, tart, easy dessert.
Crock Pot Apple Cobbler Recipe – just 3 simple ingredients
Caramel Apple Poke Cake – covered in a sweet & sticky caramel sauce
Caramel Apple Trifle – layers of sweet spiced apples and pound cake!
Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe with 4 ingredients
- In a greased 9x13 dish, mix apple pie filling and caramel sauce.
- You may add in the ½ teaspoon cinnamon if desired.
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Pour dry cake mix directly on top of the pie filing and spread evenly.
- Top with melted butter and pecans (optional).
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown and apple filling is bubbly around the edges.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.