There’s nothing better than a freshly prepared homemade Thousand Island Dressing!
This is the best Thousand Island Dressing. It’s an all-in-one DIY dip, dressing, and sauce recipe. It can be used so many different ways. Double up on the recipe because it’ll get used up quickly on burgers, hot dogs, and tasty cheeseburger salads. It even tastes amazing as a dip for Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings.
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
PIN IT to your DIPS & DRESSINGS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What is Thousand Island Dressing?
- Homemade salad dressings are a delicious way to show off fresh greens and veggies!
- Also known as “secret sauce,” Thousand Island is a mayonnaise-based salad dressing that’s used as a condiment that includes ketchup, vinegar, and pickles.
- Full of bright, tangy flavor and creamy texture.
Thousand Island Dressing Ingredients
Most kitchens will have these basic ingredients on hand to make homemade Thousand Island dressing.
FAT Mayonnaise & sour cream together make it super creamy with a bit of tang from the sour cream.
ACID Just add a splash of white vinegar or another type of preferred vinegar. Keep it light-flavored though, darker vinegar may interfere with the flavor profile. Stick with rice or apple cider vinegar, even white wine vinegar could work.
KETCHUP If you’d like to make this recipe into a keto or low carb version it’s pretty easy to do, just sub the regular ketchup for a sugar-free variety and replace the sugar with a low carb sweetener. But Thousand Island Dressing doesn’t have a ton of calories, so it’s not necessary.
SEASONINGS This recipe has onion powder, salt & pepper for those classic Thousand Island flavors everyone loves.
PICKLES This recipe calls for dill pickles, but feel free to sub with any other favorite type of pickles like sweet gherkins or butter chips. Even use a small spoonful of pickle relish instead, if preferred.
How To Make Thousand Island Dressing?
It’s a one-and-done recipe that will up the flavor profile on more than just salad!
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to 10 days in the refrigerator.
Ways to Use Thousand Island Dressing
Think outside of the bottle and use Thousand Island dressing as a burger spread or to top a Crockpot Chicken Tacos Recipe. Add a few spoons full of dressing to Macaroni Salad with Egg, & serve with Easy Pulled Pork Sliders. Use as a dip or “fry sauce” for these crispy Air Fryer Frozen Fries. Stir into this recipe for Crispy Smashed Potatoes to brighten up the flavor!
- For best results, refrigerate dressing for at least an hour before using.
- Shake the dressing vigorously before using it.
- Shred or dice the pickles finely so they don’t overwhelm the dressing.
- Use full-fat mayo and sour cream for the best creamy flavor.
- For an extra dose of nutrition, add shredded zucchini or chia seeds.
- Store for up to 10 days in the refrigerator in a covered container or cruet.
Tasty Dippers & Sandwiches for Thousand Island Dressing
- Copycat Chick-fil-A Sandwich – just like the original!
- Sweet Potato Fries – great dipper for Thousand Island Dressing!
- Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp – Succulent appetizer.
- Air Fryer Frozen Burgers – Skip the drive-thru!
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe – Easy and healthy favorite.
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix until fully combined.
- Refrigerate for up to 10 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.