This homemade beef and tomato macaroni soup is the perfect cold weather chill chaser!
Hamburger macaroni soup is a wholesome recipe made with seasoned ground beef, elbow macaroni, and chopped veggies all simmered in a savory tomato and beef broth. It’s an easy one pot recipe that is hearty and delicious, yet so simple to make!
Easy One Pot Recipe!
- Tomato macaroni soup is a simple one-pot soup that goes from the stovetop to the table in minutes!
- Make and take to a tailgate party or holiday potluck and serve with a side of garlic bread or shredded cheddar cheese!
- Stretch the budget and use up leftover meat and vegetables.
Ingredients and Variations
GROUND BEEF: Use fresh or leftover ground beef, but chicken or Italian sausage works, too! If time is short, use a bag of frozen meatballs.
PASTA: Elbow macaroni is a fun shape that holds the tomato broth well, but any short pasta will do. Egg noodles or shells are also good choices!
SOUP: Whisk in a little milk for a creamy tomato soup base.
VEGGIES: Why not add veggies like mushrooms, diced potatoes, zucchini or even chopped baby kale for extra color and nutrition! Short on time? Toss in a bag of frozen mixed vegetables!
How to make Macaroni Soup
- Saute onions, bell peppers, and garlic in oil (as per the recipe below).
- Add ground beef, cook and drain off excess fat. Stir in seasonings.
- Add soup, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until pasta is al dente.
Beef and tomato macaroni soup tastes better the next day! Keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat it on the stove, and add fresh pasta, if desired. Freeze chilled soup in zippered bags for up to 2 months.
Tips & Ideas
- Cook the pasta separately, add to each individual bowl, then add the soup on top. The soup base can be easily refrigerated, or frozen, and reheated without fear of the pasta becoming becoming mushy.
- Make this recipe into a casserole! Simply decreasing the amount of beef broth and add extra pasta. Spread into a casserole dish, cover with shredded cheddar cheese, and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve this delish soup with a cucumber radish salad, a spinach strawberry salad, and a basket loaded with cheesy bread!
Other Hearty Soup Recipes To Try!
- Minestrone Soup Recipe – ready in less than 30 minutes!
- Veggie and Beef Soup – so delish
- Easy Homey Chicken and Rice Soup – comfort soup at it’s best
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup – extra flavorful
Beef and Tomato Macaroni Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic Minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 ounce can, undrained
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups elbow pasta uncooked
- In a large pot, saute onions, bell pepper and garlic in oil until the vegetables begin to softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add ground beef and scramble fry until no pink remains. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in the chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add condensed tomato soup, diced tomatoes, beef broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add the pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the pasta is just al dente.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.