Beef and Tomato Macaroni Soup
Pin it to your SOUPS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
When the summer starts to wane and most of the U.S. prepares for the end of daylight saving time, I like to “fall back” on old standby recipes, the comfort food that graces my table when the weather’s a bit cooler and changes in appetites seem to indicate there’s an impending hibernation!
This Beef Tomato Macaroni Soup is a fall standard at my house, and it’ll definitely get you in the mood for sweaters and dusting out your fireplace.
The soup starts with a lovely base of aromatics – onions, garlic, and bell peppers, sautéed a bit then browned along with ground beef.
Using an 80/20 combo instead of a leaner cut means maximum beefy flavor and a rich, meaty complement to this tomato-heavy soup.
I use both diced tomatoes and a condensed tomato soup in my recipe.
Adding condensed soup is a great trick for incorporating tomato flavor, of course, but it also has built-in thickeners that lend wonderful body to each spoonful.
The addition of pasta means even more texture and makes this hearty soup a really filling lunch or supper.
To season the soup, I like a combination of chili powder and oregano.
Chili powder brings a subtle heat and slightly bitter component that balances the sweetness of the tomatoes. It also deepens the rich red color of this soup. Oregano, which is a member of the mint family, has a peppery bite that always pairs well with tomatoes.
What we usually find in the stores is actually a Mediterranean or Greek variety, but definitely use Mexican oregano if you can find it. It has a slightly more pronounced licorice flavor that adds a little complexity to this dish.
We love to serve this up with a side of the BEST Cheesy Bread EVER and a side salad for a perfect meal!
Beef and Tomato Macaroni Soup
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cans Condensed Tomato Soup
- 1 15 ounce can Diced Tomatoes Undrained
- 32 Ounces Beef Broth
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Elbow Pasta Uncooked
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Saute onions, bell pepper and garlic until the vegetables begin to softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it up and cooking until there is no longer any pink. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add condensed tomato soup, diced tomatoes with their juice, beef broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add the pasta. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the pasta is just al dente.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.
My Beef Tomato Macaroni Soup comes together really quickly on the stove, but you can also let it work its magic in the slow cooker if you want it ready and waiting on you when you get home after a busy day. It’ll warm your insides, put smiles on your family’s faces, and give you plenty of leftover time for toasting some marshmallows!