Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is special enough to serve for company, holidays, or as a hearty appetizer before a feast. It’s a savory tomato parmesan based broth with cream cheese that provides the backdrop for sausage or chicken, cheese, and of course… your favorite kind of tortellini!
Winter is the perfect time for all kinds of delicious soups like a creamy butternut squash soup, Zuppa Toscana or an easy Taco Chili. But you won’t be able to get enough of this creamy CrockPot tortellini soup, and the kids are sure to love it too!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Pin it your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
How to Make Tomato Tortellini Soup
It’s possible to modify for stovetop cooking, but tomato tortellini soup really shines when you make it the easy way, in the slow cooker. Just follow these 3 simple steps and dinner will be ready for you and yours!
- Brown sausage (and/or chicken) in a skillet, add to CrockPot.
- Add all the other ingredients except for tortellini and heavy cream.
- Half an hour before serving, add the last 2 ingredients.
That’s all there is to it! Easiest supper ever! You can add spinach, extra cheese… you name it, it’s hard to go wrong with something this delicious!
What To Serve With Tomato Tortellini Soup
It’s not hard to find any number of delicious sides to go with this soup! But I can’t think of having soup without some kind of bread on the side. So I love to serve it with pizza dough breadsticks, jalapeno cornbread or even Oven Baked Grilled Cheese!
If you are using tortellini soup for an appetizer, follow it up with pork chops with mushroom gravy and a spinach strawberry salad. And if you end with a lemon-orange cake, I can guarantee that no one will leave your table hungry!
What To Do With Leftover Tomato Tortellini Soup
Creamy Tortellini Soup should keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, according to FDA guidelines. Because of the creamy base, this soup may not fare too well in the freezer.
You can try to freeze it using an airtight, freezer-safe container. After defrosting overnight in the fridge, try making it into an Italian style casserole.
- Add some croutons to thicken it up.
- Top it with sliced tomatoes sprinkled with oregano.
- Add some shredded mozzarella or parmesan on top, and bake in a casserole dish at 350°F for 30-45 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Honestly, I would be surprised if this homemade soup didn’t completely disappear into hungry tummies long before you have to worry about it spoiling!
Favorite Homemade Soups
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup – loaded with yummy pesto.
CrockPot Chicken Noodle Soup – perfect for cold weather!
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup – a family favorite!
Slow Cooker Leek Soup – great comfort soup.
CrockPot Chicken Tortilla Soup – easy and delicious!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup Crockpot recipe
- 1 pound sausage
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened and cubed
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 ounce bag frozen tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- parmesan grated, for garnish
- Once you have cooked your sausage, toss that into the crockpot.
- Add chicken broth, cream cheese, tomatoes (juice and all), Italian seasoning and the garlic powder.
- Cook on low 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before you are ready to serve, add the tortellini and heavy whipping cream. Stir well.
- Once the tortellini rise to the surface of the soup it's ready to serve!