One of our favorite cold-weather and holiday side dishes is Creamed Peas and Potatoes.
We know comfort food when we see it and we think we have the best recipe for creamed potatoes! Prepare this for your holiday meals and listen to the compliments fly! We also have a few new twists that we know you’ll love!
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
PIN IT your SIDES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Creamy potatoes and peas is one of the easiest, heartiest, and most cost-effective side dishes we have in our recipe box! We know you’ll love it as much as we do! It’s a perfect beginner recipe for home cooks and kids alike— savory, creamy, delicious, and tasty! We like to top it with bacon bits, French fried onions, and even shredded cheddar cheese! Add cubed ham or sliced bratwurst sausage to make it an entrée!
Creamy Peas and Potatoes Recipe
Creamed peas and potatoes are super easy to make, just follow these simple steps.
- Boil cubed potatoes according to recipe at the bottom of this post.
- Add peas and continue to boil another 3 to 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion in butter, add cream and simmer until thickened, then add all other ingredients and heat through.
What To Serve With Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Creamy potatoes and peas goes with all kinds of meat entrées, but we really love when it’s paired with pork entrees like juicy baked pork chops with mushroom gravy, or crockpot pulled pork. Everyone loves creamed peas and potatoes with ham steaks, or baked ham, too.
- The best thing about this recipe is the creamy sauce that’s made during the cooking process.
- The best way to keep the cream from curdling is to add it to the skillet slowly. Also, have the cream at room temperature. Pour it in very slowly as you mix or whisk it into the sautéed onion mixture while it cooks.
- Creamy potatoes and peas will last in the refrigerator for about 5 days as long as it’s covered. It’s easy to freeze, but to freshen it up just add new cooked diced potatoes and some fresh peas and it will be good to go!
Other Easy Recipes!
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes – delicious side dish.
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes – so easy to make.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe – family favorite recipe.
- Sausage and Potatoes Skillet – a one pan meal!
- Easy Turkey Pot Pie – with mashed potatoes!
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
- 2 cups cooked russet potatoes diced ½"
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ onion diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon dry dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cube potatoes and boil for 12-15 minutes or until almost fork tender. Add peas and boil for another 3-5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in onion and cook until translucent.
- Add heavy cream, bring to a slight boil till thickened and then shut off heat.
- Stir in potatoes, peas and seasonings.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.