This easy Jalapeño Cornbread recipe is moist, buttery, and slightly sweet with a generous amount of Colby Jack cheese and a kick of jalapeño spice!
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
Best Homemade Cornbread
Cornbread is one of those nostalgic family favorites that go with just about everything. It’s hearty, easy to make, and always a crowd-pleaser, plus this version has a deliciously spicy twist!
While you really can’t go wrong with any kind of cornbread, this recipe is deliciously flavorful. Flour and cornmeal are still at the heart, but a little sugar adds a touch of sweetness that’s complemented by rich and melty Colby Jack cheese.
And don’t forget the jalapenos! Aside from adding a bit of heat to the bread, these peppers are packed with fresh, savory flavor.
How To Make Jalapeno Cornbread
Cornbread is really easy to make from scratch and of course, there are a million flavor combos from spicy jalapeno to sweet honey.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls (per recipe below).
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in jalapenos and cheese and bake in a prepared skillet.
Once baked, spread butter over the top and cut into wedges (or squares) to enjoy.
Tips to Remember
How to make cornbread moist? Be sure to measure your flour and cornmeal carefully! Too much cornmeal can result in a crumbly cornbread, while too much flour will create a more bread-like instead of cornbread texture.
Another way to ensure a moist and delicious cornbread is to use whole milk. You can use regular milk, but keep in mind that it will change the texture of the cornbread resulting in a drier side dish!
How to store cornbread? Cornbread can be stored on the counter, in the fridge, or in the freezer.
- On the Counter: Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out. It should last about 1 to 2 days on the counter.
- In the Refrigerator: Once cooled completely, place in an airtight container or zippered bag. This helps to keep the cornbread from absorbing the flavors of other dishes in the fridge. It should last about 5-7 days in the fridge!
- In the Freezer: Once the cornbread has completely cooled place in a freezer bag or airtight container and store in the freezer for about 2-3 months. Let it sit at room temperature to thaw.
For a warm melty cheesy cornbread, you can pop in the microwave until heated through or reheat in the oven!
What Goes with Cornbread
Try making this easy recipe to bring to cookouts, potlucks, and parties! Whether you’re making chicken, ribs, steak, burgers, pasta, baked beans, or soup, you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t want to a square of this stuff on their plate!
In fact, you’ll find yourself making this recipe for meals and get-togethers all year long. Cheesy jalapeno cornbread is just as enjoyable at summer shindigs as it is at a Thanksgiving feast or at Christmas dinner! (This may seem far off now, but as you know, the holidays tend to come around quickly!)
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Salsa Chicken Bake – just 4 ingredients
- Easy Taco Chili Recipe – best comfort food
- Instant Pot Beef Stew – quick & hearty meal
- Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole – easy to make
- Southwest Shredded Chicken Enchiladas – delicious
Keep this recipe handy to share with friends and family or to complete a meal for a low-key dinner at home.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup jalapeno peppers minced, about 4 peppers
- 1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese grated
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet with butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in the jalapeno peppers and cheese and pour the batter into the prepared skillet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread the butter over the top of the cornbread. Cut into wedges and enjoy.