Hearty and full of flavor this Slow Cooker Chicken Soup is simple to make.
With a creamy broth base, loaded with vegetables and pesto, this chicken soup is insanely delicious.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
Pin it to your SOUPS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I love making easy, delicious and flavorful soups, it is one of my favorite meals to dish up to my family. There is an added bonus in it for me if I can make it in the slow cooker.
While you have your traditional chicken soup recipes to make in the slow cooker like, slow cooker chicken tortellini soup and slow cooker chicken noodle soup. This recipe elevates all other chicken soups. I love my recipe for slow cooker white chicken chili and this recipe inspired it. Using the creamy base from my white chicken chili, I simply took out the seasonings and replaced it with pesto.
We love anything with pesto and I am pretty sure because it is made with cheese and basil, two of my husband’s staple ingredients in his diet.
While I could have easily made homemade pesto for this slow cooker chicken soup, I decided to just grab a jar while I was at the store, simplifying the recipe and process.
All of the vegetables made this soup stunning to look at. Loaded with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomatoes and cannellini beans this soup is wholesome and filling.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Soup makes a large batch, making it enough to feed all 7 of us with a little bit left over. Now keep in mind I am feed 4 little kids and one teenager, so their portions are a bit different than ours but this would easily serve 8 adults accompanied with a nice green salad and bread.
Chicken soups typically make great freezer meals and this recipe is no exception. Once you let this cook all-day, unplug your slow cooker and let the soup cool to room temperature. Then just fill 2 Ziplock freezer bags half way, full, zip shut squeezing all of the air out of the bag and place in the freezer by placing it flat. Then pull out when needed that day for lunch or dinner, allowing it to defrost and then heating it up either on the stove top or microwave.
I love my slow cooker not only for easy last minute meals but for desserts and appetizers as well. Recipes like this Slow Cooker Chicken Soup always come in handy whether hosting a party, having company over for dinner, need a simple recipe for a cold winter’s day or if your are taking a meal to a friend.
My friend Jamie recently had a baby, number 6 for her. I am amazed by her and beyond happy for them. They had 5 girls, before their little boy came along so you can imagine their excitement. Because their little one was born during flu season she really has stayed home with him, which I am so glad that she has been able to do this! I have taken a few meals to her and they have all been soup recipes. I am not sure if it because of the chilly weather we have been having or the fact that I can just load up my slow cooker and let it do it’s magic and then deliver it to her with such ease. Also, the soups I have been taking are just downright wholesome a delicious.
Typically I make broth based soups for dinner because their and lighter, yet you can load them up with veggies that there is enough substance to make you full.
So if you are looking to try something new in your slow cooker, try this Slow Cooker Chicken Soup. Made with Italian seasonings and pesto, your whole family will devour this.
My Favorite Kitchen Items to make this SLOW COOKER CHICKEN SOUP:
- SLOW COOKER: I prefer my slow cooker to have a timer. This is because I always somehow forget about it. So having a timer and a lid that locks are two essential things for me when purchasing a slow cooker.
- MEASURING CUPS: Nothing beats a good set of measuring cups that last a long time. I love metal measuring cups because of their durability.
- MEASURING SPOONS: I have to have a metal set of measuring spoons on hand. The plastic ones just don’t last long in our house thanks in large part to the garbage disposal.
Enjoy this chicken soup friends from my slow cooker to yours. XOXO San
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Soup to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 - 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 6 ounce jar pesto
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can cannellini beans
- 1 ½ cups celery chopped
- 1 ½ cups carrots sliced
- 3 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Add all ingredients except the white sauce to the slow cooker. Gently stir to combine.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once the chicken is completely cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred or chop into medium sized chunks.
- Add chicken back to slow cooker and stir to combine. Make white sauce.
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium high heat. Once completely melted whisk in flour and continually stir until mixture is bubbly and cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken base.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 4-5 minutes while constantly whisking. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add white sauce to the slow cooker, stir to combine and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of dried basil to give it a very rustic look.
More Recipes You’ll Love