One bowl, four ingredients and the microwave are all it takes to make Microwave Rice Krispie Treats!
Kids and adults alike love these famous marshmallow cereal sweet treats! And this is the best rice krispie treats recipe ever because it’s super easy to make, for one or for many! Perfect to pop into school box lunches or as a quick pick me up afternoon snack!
Microwave Rice Krispie Treats
PIN IT to your DESSERT board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Rice Krispie Treats
- Inexpensive, easy-to-make treats that everyone loves! So many variations, too!
- Fewer calories than most dessert snacks.
- Why buy store-bought when homemade is so easy and fun to make?
- Fun for an afterschool treat, shape them into Valentine’s, Halloween, or Christmas molds for festive goodies.
Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
CEREAL: Rice Krispies are the classic base for this sweet treat, but cocoa Krispies, toasted O’s, Chex, even Lucky Charms are yummy swaps!
MARSHMALLOWS: Choose mini marshmallows because they’ll melt faster, or cut large marshmallows (approximately 50 each) into smaller pieces. Multi-colored marshmallows are a fun, colorful substitute and will be just as chewy and gooey!
BUTTER: For best results, use real butter to get that rich, buttery sweet flavor. Swirl in some peanut butter with the marshmallows for an even yummier treat!
- This is the fun part! Mini M&M’s, chocolate chips, toffee pieces, crushed Oreo pieces, even chopped, dried fruit like cherries, apricots, or mangoes can be added to rice Krispie squares!
- Squeeze a few drops of food coloring into the melted marshmallow mix and create colored squares to celebrate a baby shower, a birthday, or a holiday!
- Top with melted chocolate for an extra special treat!
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats in the Microwave
Microwaveable treats are super fun and easy to make:
- Place butter and marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat (per recipe instructions below).
- Once the mixture is melted and smooth, add vanilla & gently stir in the cereal.
- Press mixture into a pan and cool before cutting into desired sizes.
PRO TIP: Pour all of the cereal into a colander to shake out the ‘cereal dust’ before mixing into the marshmallow mixture).
- Chop refrigerated butter into small pieces so it melts faster.
- If adding nut butter, microwave the jar for about 30 seconds to make it easier to spoon into the mixture.
- To shorten microwave melting time, 1 ½ jars (10 oz) of marshmallow crème (or fluff), can be substituted for the 6 cups of mini marshmallows.
How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats will maintain their chewy goodness if they are kept in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 4 days. For grab-and-go snacks, cut and wrap them individually to pop into a backpack or briefcase!
Other Easy Treats To Make!
- Mississippi Mud Cookies – so much chocolate.
- Butterscotch Blondies – 5 minute prep!
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats – a nutty version of the original.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies – No bake recipe!
- Rainbow Cupcakes – so fun!
Microwave Rice Krispie Treats
- Combine butter and marshmallows in a large bowl.
- Cook on high heat for 1 minute. Stir. Continue cooking on high about 1-2 minutes more stirring until smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal and stir until well coated.
- Press into a greased 9x13" pan and cool completely.