This Taco Spaghetti Recipe is a sure-fire Mexican inspired dinner, perfect any night of the week!
Everyone loves this south-of-the-border twist on spaghetti. Make a spicy marinara with a creamy Rotel sauce, and toss in some bell peppers, seasoned meat, and cheese. Don’t forget a few spicy jalapenos and it’s ready to serve. It’s easy, zesty, and a delish new take on a classic.
Taco Spaghetti Recipe
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Taco Spaghetti
- This taco spaghetti recipe is a total crowd-pleaser because it’s new and inventive. Plus it’s made in one skillet so cleanup is a breeze. What’s not to love?
- Keep taco spaghetti warm in a Crockpot and let guests help themselves. Set out bowls of shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, extra jalapenos, chopped onions, and sliced black olives. Don’t forget the salsa, guacamole and hot sauce!
- Looking for a meatless version? No problem! Switch out the meat for black beans, pinto beans, or any assortment of your faves. PRO TIP: If using canned, be sure to rinse them before using them to eliminate sodium or preservatives.
- Make taco spaghetti a portable entrée and keep it chilled in a casserole dish until ready to reheat in the oven.
Taco Spaghetti Ingredients
PASTA: Choose thicker spaghetti, like bucatini or pasta shapes that hold a creamy tomato sauce like this one. Rotini, penne, large shells, or large elbow macaroni should work well, just follow package directions for cook times. Or go low carb and use spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles instead of spaghetti pasta!
MEAT: Ground beef is the easy go-to, especially if some is already handy from the freezer. But don’t overlook the other proteins like ground or shredded turkey, chicken, or ground pork. Use a package of taco seasoning or this easy DIY Ground Beef Seasoning
SAUCE: Sour cream and Mexican cheese give a can of Rotel all it needs for a smooth and creamy sauce. Add more or less shredded cheese as desired, or add a small jar of salsa for a spicy kick!
ADD-INS: Aside from the bell peppers, bulk up this main dish with your choice of optional fresh or frozen veggies like peas, corn, green beans, diced baker potatoes, or sliced mushrooms. The kids won’t even know!
How To Make Taco Spaghetti
It’s easy prep and cleanup for this simple one skillet meal:
- Cook ground beef in oil and drain fat.
- Stir in taco seasoning, peppers, and Rotel (per the recipe below).
- Add water, spaghetti noodles. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until pasta is al dente.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sour cream and Mexican cheese blend.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro if desired.
One-pot meals are perfect for busy families on a budget! Serve with some homemade Pizza Dough Breadsticks, a colorful and tangy Mexican Corn Salad, some Chicken Avocado Egg Rolls, and a pitcher of Sparkling Berry Lemonade.
Tips & Tricks
- Always prepare pasta al dente (to the bite), because it will continue to cook after Step 4.
- Greek yogurt makes a good substitute for sour cream if desired.
- Keep leftover taco spaghetti in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop and add a bit more sour cream to loosen if needed.
Other Quick & Easy Recipes!
- Quick And Easy Chili– so full of flavor.
- Simple Meatball Recipe – versatile recipe.
- Cheesy Ground Beef Pasta – a 30 minute meal.
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry – delicious.
- Easy Shrimp Alfredo – perfect for a quick meal.
Taco Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning or a 1 ounce package
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper diced
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes with green chiles undrained
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 cup Mexican cheese
- grape tomatoes sliced lengthwise, garnish - optional
- Jalapeno garnish - optional
- Cilantro garnish - optional
- Cook and brown ground beef in hot oil. Drain excess grease.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over beef and mix. Stir in peppers and Rotel tomatoes.
- Add water and spaghetti, making sure the spaghetti is covered with the liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until spaghetti is al dente (check cook time on spaghetti package).
- Remove from heat. Add sour cream and cheese, stir gently until melted.
- Top with garnish if desired.
- Nutrition calculated without optional garnish.
- Be sure to prepare pasta al dente. It will continue to cook as it sits.
- Sub in Greek yogurt for sour cream if needed.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- Add a bit of sour cream when reheating to help loosen it up.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Taco Spaghetti Recipe!
I made Taco Spaghetti tonight. I used bucatini pasta and followed the recipe except I added chopped onion to the ground beef while browning. I finished with all the garnishes! I thought it was excellent. I would make it again especially for a group of people. I did take a pix.
I am so happy to hear you loved this recipe Patricia!
Tried this recipe before and found the pasta to be a bit mushy for our liking. Would the recipe work to make the pasta separate and add it to the sauce? Would I need to do anything different?
That should work just fine Michelle! The sauce may not thicken or stick quite as well to the pasta but will still be delicious!