Roasted Acorn Squash is an excellent side dish that goes perfectly with so many main courses!
Get to know this roasted acorn squash recipe and discover all the ways it can be seasoned and served. Oven-roasted acorn squash comes out fork tender with a glaze of caramelized brown sugar butter and a touch of cinnamon!
Easy Roasted Acorn Squash!
- This uber-easy squash recipe just takes a few ingredients that are probably already in the pantry.
- Serve them as halves, slices, rings, or cubes! Even the seeds can be roasted for a tasty, on-the-go snack!
- Or make acorn squash stuffed with rice pilaf, seasoned ground beef, or sausage. Or make a whole new meal using leftovers from the fridge!
- Vegetarians love roasted acorn squash because its mildly sweet flavor goes with so many things like beans, nuts, and cheese.
Ingredients and Variations
SQUASH: Choose whole, heavy acorn squash that are free of cracks or soft spots. They should be deep green in color and smell a little sweet at the base. Other types of squash to use in this recipe are butternut, spaghetti squash, and delicata.
SEASONINGS: Acorn squash works with sweet or savory seasonings! Use maple syrup or honey instead of the brown sugar or for a savory squash, brush with butter and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese.
How to Roast Acorn Squash
This simple acorn squash recipe can be prepped in 3 easy steps!
- Prepare squash.
- Combine remaining ingredients and brush over slices.
- Bake until tender as directed in the recipe below.
Garnish with bleu cheese crumbles, sliced almonds, or a simple sprinkle of parsley for color.
Roasted Acorn Squash Serving Suggestions
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Bake acorn squash on parchment paper for easy cleanup!
- Keep leftover squash in a covered container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Serve cold over a salad, make a squash soup, blend into a smoothie or add to a stir fry.
- Freeze leftovers in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
Other Delish Recipes!
- Oven Baked Parmesan Zucchini – a summer squash recipe!
- Low Carb Zucchini Enchiladas – easy and delish.
- Zucchini Casserole With Stuffing – a lighter style of stuffing.
- Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats – low carb and so tasty.
Roasted Acorn Squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out using a spoon.
- Trim squash to 1 inch slices and place in a large bowl. Mix with butter, brown sugar and seasonings until fully coated.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for 25-30 minutes or until pieces are tender.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper, making clean up a breeze!
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days, or freeze leftovers in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
- Use leftovers in many recipes such as salads, soups, or blend into a smoothie.