Stir Fried Broccoli is a favorite on the menu at Chinese restaurants and now, that sweet and spicy recipe can be made at home!
Broccoli stir fry is a vegetarian’s dream! Tender florets of broccoli are sautéed and then sauced and garnished with sesame seeds. This is a delish dish for a buffet, and it tastes awesome with rice or served as a tasty side dish!
Stir Fried Broccoli
PIN IT to your SIDE DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Broccoli Stir Fry
- This broccoli stir fry recipe is so easy to make, just a few steps and in one pan!
- Feeding a crowd? Broccoli stir fry goes with anything and is an economical addition to a potluck or picnic table!
- We love the classic Chinese take-out version of this recipe, but in a pinch this at-home version satifises that craving!
- Mix it up with chicken and beef and even tofu for a heartier entrée!
- Use a variety of bell peppers for a pop of color!
- Serve alone or on top of rice, noodles, even on a cabbage slaw as a cold salad. Or serve with Chinese Shrimp Toast and some Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Stir Fry Ingredients
VEGETABLES The beauty of stir-fries is that they are cooked quickly, preserving the crispy texture of the ingredients. Broccoli & peppers are quickly sautéed with garlic & ginger, but cauliflower, mushrooms, even sliced almonds can be added to the dish! Make it spicier by adding a dash or two of sriracha!
SAUCE This classic sauce is the one that everyone loves, with a base of sesame oil, ginger, and soy sauce. The combination of flavors in this recipe is tangy, sweet, and a little bit spicy. Ultimate umami flavors!
How To Stir Fry Broccoli
Lovely, fresh, and colorful broccoli turns bright green and stays a little bit crunchy when it’s cooked this way:
- Whisk sauce ingredients together.
- Sauté broccoli in oil, then add water.
- Stir in ginger & garlic, then add sauce & simmer (per recipe below).
Garnish with sesame seeds & serve over rice or as a delicious side dish!
Tips for Success
- Cut the woody stems from the broccoli pieces so they are all the same size.
- Fresh ginger and garlic work best for this recipe to bring out the sharp Chinese flavors.
- Avoid using dried or powdered seasonings.
- Be sure to follow the recipe ratios exactly. This sauce is too good to do any guesswork on amounts!
Recipe Time Savers
- Frozen broccoli florets can be used in a pinch, simply add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- Prepared teriyaki sauce can be used instead of the homemade sauce, but let it cook down to achieve the proper thickness.
- Try cutting up all the ingredients ahead of time, so that they are ready to cook when the chef is!
Leftover stir fried broccoli will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Frozen broccoli keeps indefinitely, but it will taste the best if used within 2 months.
Mix leftovers with other fresh veggies like sliced water chestnuts, baby corn, and snow peas for an all-new vegetarian dish. Or dice broccoli, mix with sliced cabbage and make a healthy, energizing wrap for school or work!
Other Broccoli Side Dishes to Try!
- Easy Broccoli Salad – a fresh side dish!
- Broccoli Bake – easy & cheesy.
- Chinese Broccoli – full of flavor!
- Broccoli Casserole – simple & delicious.
- Roasted Broccolini– an elegant side dish.
Stir Fried Broccoli
- 1 bunch broccoli about 1 pound
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- Peel the tough outer layer from the broccoli stem and cut broccoli into 2" pieces including the stem.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan with oil over medium-high heat, add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 Tablespoons water to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes or until water has evaporated.
- Stir in garlic and ginger cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sauce mixture and cook an additional 2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.