The best recipes are the ones that are guilt free but oh-so-tasty! Of course Zucchini Bread is on the menu in the autumn months, but how about a baked Zucchini Casserole? This zucchini squash casserole is perfect for veggie lovers because the vegetables are not overwhelmed by the other flavors, allowing that garden freshness to really shine through. It’s like a fancier version of Easy Parmesan Zucchini.
Zucchini Casserole With Stuffing
Pin it your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What’s In Zucchini Casserole?
- Zucchini – the most obvious ingredient is this humble courgette. Zucchini is probably the most popular in the squash family since its skin is tender and it’s easy to cook. Try using a mix of green and golden zucchini to add extra color!
- Onions – so many varieties to choose from! I like to use sweet vidalia onions but it’s not necessary, zucchini casserole will taste great made with ordinary cooking onions. But if you really want to make it special, mix in some pearl onions while you saute, they make any dish extra special.
- Stuffing Mix – crunchy bread bits mixed with seasonings and Parmesan sets zucchini casserole apart. For some reason these flavors create just the right amount of subtle cheesy crunch.
Let’s Make It!
- Saute onions in olive oil for about 5 minutes being careful not to brown them.
- Add sliced zucchini and saute for a few more minutes. Don’t let courgettes cook too long, you’ll want them just slightly softened.
- Mix and layer remaining ingredients (as per recipe below).
- Bake until steaming hot and zucchini reaches desired texture, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Zucchini Casserole can be reheated in the microwave, steamed, or sautéed again with a little oil. Or freeze leftovers in a ziplock bag or an airtight container of some sort. Then you can defrost right during cooking. Try transferring it into a casserole dish and mix up another batch of topping. Or just spread a can of french fried onions over the top, it will still taste great. For another idea, you can mix leftovers into a fritatta for a whole new dish!
What To Serve With Zucchini Casserole
Serve this cheesy zucchini side dish along with a meal of Easy Beef Stroganoff or Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy. Have a dessert of scrumptious Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie and your autumn feast will be complete!
More Delicious Casseroles For You To Try!
Broccoli Casserole – a simple, yet delicious casserole.
Cracker Barrel Copycat Hashbrown Casserole – a classic!
Cream Corn Casserole – perfect for a pot luck.
Classic Green Bean Casserole – everybody’s favorite.
Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole – A complete meal!
Zucchini Casserole With Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 8"x11" or two quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook onion in butter on medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook for 4-5 more minutes to remove some water.
- In a medium bowl, combine ½ of the stuffing mix, ½ of the cheddar cheese, eggs, milk, butter, and the zucchini mixture. Add just enough water for the stuffing mixture to be moist. Spread into baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining stuffing mixture, remaining cheeses and 3 Tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle over zucchini mixture.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.