This Stuffed Zucchini Boats recipe is legendary. Not only is it low carb, but it’s so easy to prepare and super versatile.
Summer is the time to harvest and use up all that deliciously healthy zucchini. And this is this stuffed zucchini boats recipe is the best for that. Serve them with a crispy spinach strawberry salad, and some delicious fruit kabobs.
Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats
PIN IT to your DINNER board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Why We Love This Zucchini Boats Recipe
- The boats are the best. Baked or grilled, they’re awesome for a cheesy taco Mexican inspired night, Italian inspired night, or any night.
- Zucchini boats are the perfect ‘vehicle’ for meat-based, vegetarian, and even vegan fillings so there’s something for everyone.
- Economical and quick to make, zucchini boats are great for mid-day lunches that will keep everyone energized until dinner.
- This is a great recipe for using up leftover meats and veggies.
Ingredients & Variations
ZUCCHINI: Choose thick zucchinis for bigger, heartier boats for filling. Save the filling to whip into mashed potatoes or use to thicken a soup or stew.
FILLING: The Italian-style fillings here are a great start to the basic recipe, but mix it up with shredded buffalo chicken, seasoned beef and rice, ground turkey, even small bay shrimp mixed with cocktail sauce can make a light lunch or side dish. Or make it pizza style and use tomato sauce, chopped pepperoni, and then top with mozzarella cheese. The possibilities are endless.
How To Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Here are the simple steps to this zucchini recipe:
- Combine cheese mixture & set aside.
- Prepare zucchini boats, beef and cheese mixtures (as per recipe below)
- Fill each baked zucchini boat with the cheese and the meat.
- Cover with foil and bake. Add mozzarella at the end and bake (or broil) until deliciously brown!
Can You Eat the Skin on Zucchini Boats?
Sure! The skins become tender as the zucchini are baked so they are easy to cut when they’re ready to eat.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Boats?
Freeze cooked and cooled zucchini boats in small, portioned-sized zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside. They will keep about 4 weeks in the freezer. Thaw each one in the refrigerator before reheating in the microwave or oven.
Time Saving Tips
For perfect weekly meal prep, cook the zucchini boats, fill with the cheese and meat mixture and keep in the refrigerator in a covered container. Bake one at a time for a quick and easy lunch or dinner as desired.
PRO TIP: Reheat leftover zucchini boat in the air fryer for a crispy exterior and a juicy interior.
Other Easy Recipes To Try!
- Zucchini Casserole With Stuffing – the perfect side dish.
- 3 Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe – delicious!
- Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Casserole – perfect weeknight entree.
- Cream Cheese Lasagna – easy recipe.
- Eggplant Lasagna Recipe – healthy, low carb and hearty!
- Low Carb Zucchini Enchiladas – keto friendly too.
Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups pasta sauce divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine cheese mixture and set aside.
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise, Using a spoon, scoop out the fleshy center leaving a ¼" shell.
- Brush the inside of the zucchini with olive oil and place cut side down in a baking dish. Bake 10 minutes.
- While the zucchini bakes, brown beef and garlic over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups pasta sauce and Italian seasoning, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove zucchinis from the oven and turn over, filling each boat with ¼ of the cheese mixture and finish with the meat mixture.
- Wrap the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add mozzarella to the boats. Bake for 5 more minutes or until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats recipe!
That was very very good! Thank you! I just made it for tonight’s supper and waiting for it to cool a bit.
So happy you enjoyed it, Jeannette!