This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Squash Soup warms you from head to toe! A baked squash, chicken broth, and heavy cream base is enhanced with a hint of curry to create the perfect winter or autumn squash soup.
Pin it to your SOUPS BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
How to Cut Squash
If you’re wanting to make butternut squash soup, you could always peel and chop while it’s still raw. But there’s really a much easier way. Make roasted squash soup instead!
- In the Oven: Pearce the squash skin all over with a fork and pop in the oven for about an hour, or until a fork inserts easily. The peeling and cutting will be a breeze.
- In the Microwave: Cook for 15-20 minutes on 80 percent power, and then peel.
If you are wanting chunks of squash in your creamy soup, then you will need to process your squash the hard way. Use a potato peeler on the outside.
- Cut in two crosswise, to separate the bulb end from the narrow end.
- Cut the bulb end in half and scoop out the seeds, then cut into one-inch cubes.
- Slice the narrow end into one-inch discs and then into cubes.
- Drizzle with oil and roast.
Squash will roast much quicker, and the outside edges will caramelize too.
How to Make Squash Soup
A cup of this creamy soup is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day. It’s velvety smooth, nourishing, and delicious! Here’s all you have to do to make this easy squash soup recipe:
- Roast the squash, either in chunks or whole, and separate the flesh from the peel.
- Saute onion in a pot, then add all the ingredients except the cream, and simmer until the chopped apples are soft.
- Blend until smooth and return to the pot
- Bring to a simmer and add the cream.
If you have a vegetarian at your feast, just make this recipe with vegetable broth instead of chicken and olive oil instead of butter, and it will taste every bit as good!
This soup has enough rich, hearty flavor that you can experiment with herbs and spices and the result will always be delicious. Roasted squash soup also freezes beautifully!
You don’t have to stop making this delicious soup when summer arrives either. Try a yellow squash soup using potatoes, leeks, and herbs. Just stay away from the intense, warm spices when making summer squash soups. Summer soups are milder in flavor, and call for more delicate seasonings.
Savory Soup Recipes
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – favorite American classic!
- Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Asiago – perfect hearty meal!
- Chicken Kale Soup – bold lemon and ginger flavors
- Slow Cooker Leek Soup – garnish with cheese & bacon!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup – creamy richness & earthy flavors
Squash Soup is a smooth and creamy soup, with just a hint of curry, that is both hearty and delicious!
- 3 acorn squash halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup heavy cream or to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Bake until softened, about 35 minutes.
- Cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop the yellow flesh, add broth and spices. Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream and simmer 3-5 minutes. Season to taste.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)