Pork Chop & Potato Bake recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Pork Chop Dinner will surprise and delight the meat and potatoes lovers in your family. Potatoes smothered in a rich white sauce are topped with breaded pork chops in a meal fit for a king … and for a queen, princes and princesses too!
This easy pork chop recipe is one you’ll want to keep on hand for those times you find those big family packs of pork chops on sale. Try making pork chops with mushroom gravy or a delicious crockpot pulled pork with all your pork chops!
PORK CHOP DINNER
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
What’s In This Pork Chop and Potato Bake?
In addition to pork chops, the other ingredients in this casserole dish are simple staples that you most likely have on hand most of the time:
- Seasoned breadcrumbs
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Let’s Get Baking
Prepping and baking potato casserole with breaded pork chops is accomplished in three steps.
Step One: Potatoes
- Place sliced potatoes and onion in alternating layers in a casserole pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan and whisk in flour to make a roux. Slowly stir in milk and cook until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and pour over potatoes and bake until partially done.
Step Two: Pork Chops
- Mix bread crumbs, flour and garlic powder in a bowl and whip egg with a little water in another bowl.
- Dip pork chops in egg mixture, then in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Sear both sides in oil until lightly browned.
Step Three: Combine
- Top the potatoes with the chops and return to the oven to continue baking.
- When done allow the pan to rest for several minutes before serving.
When Are My Pork Chops Cooked?
The trick in making smothered pork chops is to ensure each ingredient is cooked to perfection. The potato bake layer should be tender but not mushy, and the meat should be juicy.
Pork chops have a tendency to get dry and tough if they overcook. You’ll know they are safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 145, which is medium-well. Follow the recipe guidelines and use a meat thermometer to check.
Do I Need Any Other Sides?
Amp up the volume on this filling, stick-to-your-ribs meal by preparing a side of baked or roasted veggies. As long as the oven is fired up already, go ahead and use that heat to make a stunning side dish, like green bean casserole, rosemary roasted carrots or roasted asparagus. Now there’s a company-worthy meal fit for Sunday dinner!
More Delicious Pork Recipes
- Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops – just 4 ingredients!
- Smothered Pork Chops recipe – quick & easy to make
- Oven Baked Pork Chops – perfect comfort dish!
- Honey Garlic Roasted Pork Tenderloin – melt in your mouth
- Easy Pulled Pork Sliders – fast & delicious!
Potatoes smothered in a rich white sauce are topped with breaded pork chops in a meal fit for a king … and for a queen, princes and princesses too!
- 6 pork chops
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 1/2 cups flour divided
- 1 stick butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Slice potatoes into 1/4" slices. Cut onion into slices.
In a greased 9 x 13 baking dish, layer potatoes and onions alternately and set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add 1/2 cup flour to the saucepan and stir to create a roux.
Turn heat to med-high and slowly add in milk, 1 cup at a time, stirring well to get rid of any lumps. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour white sauce over potato and onions and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, uncovered.
In a shallow dish, beat egg with 1 tablespoon water. In a separate dish, combine 1 cup flour, 1 cup bread crumbs, and garlic powder.
Dredge the pork chops in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture.
Add vegetable oil to skillet and heat to medium-high. Cook pork chops, for 4-6 minutes a side, until lightly browned. They do not need to be cooked all the way through.
Arrange pork chops on top potatoes and onions. Return dish to oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until pork chops reach an internal temperature of 145°F.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)