Every home cook needs a classic onion dip recipe!
Who didn’t grow up on the quick and easy, 3 ingredient Lipton onion soup mix dip recipe that was the perfect companion to chips and veggies?
Elevate your dipping game with this effortless and scrumptious recipe that will leave everyone wanting more!
Easy Onion Dip!
- Onion dip is a game-day necessity for tasty appetizers like wings, chips, and veggies!
- Nearly zero prep time except for whisking and optional chilling! Onion soup mix packets should be required pantry items in every kitchen for last-minute dips, dressings, and sauces!
- Double up the recipe and use it all week long as a topping for baked potatoes, or added to garlic mashed potatoes. Or whisk some into a creamy ham and potato soup for an even more savory flavor.
3 Ingredient Recipe
Soup Mix – Lipton’s is the classic, but any store brand of onion soup mix will work! Feel free to accent the flavor profile with extra onion or even garlic powder.
Dairy – Sour cream and mayonnaise add a tangy, creamy base for onion dip. Add extra cream or a bit of half-and-half, if desired. Feel free to play with the dairy to get the flavor and texture desired. Incorporate some cream cheese or Greek yogurt for a thicker texture.
Extras – Onion dip is perfect for ‘dressing up!’ Try some fresh herbs like parsley, fresh chives, and thyme, or a sprinkle of paprika for color! Toss in a splash of Tabasco or hot sauce for a zesty kick!
How to Make Onion Dip
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl.
- Garnish with extra sliced green onions.
- Chill or serve immediately with chips or vegetables.
Best Ways To Use Onion Dip
This onion dip recipe is a staple dip for veggies and chips. But it’s also delicious as a dip for cheesy breadsticks, roasted asparagus, bacon wrapped tater tots and air fryer brussels sprouts. Use it as a spread on chicken sliders or a sauce over pork, chicken, or fish, and add flavor and zest to recipes like stuffed tomatoes and deviled eggs. The possibilities are endless!
Keep leftover onion dip in a covered container for up to 5 days. Onion dip can be frozen into cubes and added to future sauces and stir-fries but won’t work as a dip due to its high dairy content. But it’s so easy to make, simply whip up another batch!
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 16 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Combine all ingredients in medium bowl.
- Chill, if desired.
- Serve with chips or vegetables for dipping.
- Easy to customize and add additional flavors for a bit extra (ex. stir in sriracha or chipotle sauce for more kick)
- Refrigerate onion dip in a covered container for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.