Homemade White Gravy is delicious with a variety of comfort food dishes!
Nothing tastes better than velvety, rich, white gravy from scratch. This classic country gravy recipe hasn’t changed much over the generations because it’s so easy to make and so versatile. This is the best and only country gravy recipe that’s needed!
Homemade White Gravy
PIN IT to your SIDES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
White Gravy from Scratch
- Making white gravy from scratch is a cinch because it’s made in one pan with a few basic ingredients. After that it’s all technique to make a smooth and creamy homemade gravy that everyone loves.
- Double the batch to use for country gravy and biscuits or chicken and waffles for dinner!
- Chicken fried steak isn’t the same without a generous helping of seasoned white gravy on top!
- Or smother a hearty helping of hashbrowns at breakfast with country gravy and top with shredded cheese!
White Gravy Ingredients
No doubt these ingredients are already in the pantry and refrigerator; a little butter, white flour, and milk. A dash of salt and pepper is the only seasoning.
- White gravy is the most versatile gravy/sauce a home cook can use, it lends itself perfectly to so many different flavor profiles.
- Add seasoned crumbled sausage or turkey to top biscuits for a heartier, heavier gravy.
- Sub out the milk for half and half or even buttermilk for an extra rich gravy that’s excellent on Loaded Mashed Potato Pancakes or to top onto a brunch casserole like this Cracker Barrel Copycat Hashbrown Casserole recipe.
- Make a savory gravy by whisking in some red wine and beef or chicken broth and top over this Pork Chop & Potato Bake recipe.
- Game night calls for French fries! Make Air Fryer Home Fries or Air Fryer Frozen Fries, pile them onto a paper boat, and cover them with savory white gravy!
How To Make White Gravy
It couldn’t be any easier to make homemade white gravy from scratch:
- Stir flour into melted butter.
- Stir in the flour and then whisk in the milk slowly, per recipe below.
- Season and serve.
Keep leftover homemade white gravy in a jar in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Shake the jar before reheating. Reheat leftover gravy in a saucepan while whisking in a little milk. Freeze cooled white gravy in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 months. Reheat using the same method above.
Recipe Tips and Time Savers!
- Lumpy gravy? No problem! Carefully pour gravy into a blender or food processor and puree.
- For gravy that has that extra rich and smooth flavor, always use real butter and full-fat milk.
- Homemade white gravy is a staple in any home cook’s kitchen! Use as a gravy, a sauce, or a topping in so many recipes!
Delicious Recipes With Gravy
- Mushroom Hamburger Steak And Gravy – quick prep time.
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy – delicious!
- Biscuits and Gravy Cups – a tasty snack or side dish.
Homemade White Gravy
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk until there are no lumps remaining.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thick, whisking continually for about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.