This Loaded Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe is the best way to use up leftover mashed potatoes!
These leftover mashed potato cakes are next level because of all the extra ingredients that make them a hearty breakfast treat or a dinner time side dish! Instead of shredded potatoes, we use leftover mashed potatoes and make them into a super easy, cheesy recipe we know you’ll make again and again!
Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe
Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes
Leftover mashed potatoes are so versatile and perfect for creating new recipes! Mashed potato pancakes come out crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside! Serve them warm with sour cream, ketchup, even salsa!
Ingredients and Variations
This Mashed Potato Pancake Recipe uses simple leftover mashed potatoes, binding ingredients like eggs and flour, and savory ingredients like bacon, cheese and seasonings. Use your imagination to add other leftovers you might have on hand.
VEGGIES: Grated or cooked chopped carrots, broccoli, mushrooms or red peppers would be delicious mixed in.
MEAT: Add ground beef or turkey, shredded chicken or diced ham.
CHEESE: Try some different varieties of cheese like Monterey jack, Swiss, Gouda or Parmesan.
How Do You Make Potato Pancakes from Scratch?
Leftover mashed potato cakes are a super easy way to make something everyone will love!
- Prepare bacon, crumble and set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté garlic and onion, then add to bacon. Blend in remaining ingredients (except butter).
- Clean pan and melt butter over medium heat. Shape potato pancakes into a ball and place them in the frying pan. Flatten and fry on both sides until they are golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
What Goes With Potato Pancakes?
Historically, applesauce or horseradish pair well with potato pancakes, but these are loaded cheesy leftover potato pancakes so they can go with so much more! They are delicious topped with sour cream, green onions, and extra cheese.
Tips For Potato Pancake Perfection!
- Pre-make your mashed potato pancakes and store them in the refrigerator with layers of parchment paper between each.
- They can also be frozen the same way in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside. They will keep about a month.
- Leftovers? Reheat them in a toaster oven or under the broiler for 3 minutes on each side until they are crispy again.
- Remember to reserve the bacon grease. When it’s cooled, pour it into a jar and keep it in the refrigerator for future use. Delicious for recipes like german potato salad.
Other Potato Recipes To Try!
- Funeral Potatoes Recipe – a family favorite.
- Creamy Potato Salad – delicious classic!
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes – for bacon lovers.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Balls – perfect for leftover mashed potatoes!
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes – always a treat.
Loaded Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove and crumble into small bits. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from the pan. Cook garlic and onion until soft. Add to the bacon bits.
- Add remaining ingredients, except butter, to the bowl and mix (it will be sticky).
- Clean pan, then melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Scoop ¼ cup potato mixture and form into a ball. Place it in the hot pan, and flatten out until it's about ½" to ¾" thick. Fry 3 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Keep warm until ready to serve. For best results, serve immediately while still crispy.