This hash brown breakfast casserole is the best breakfast anyone would want to wake up to!
Potatoes, ham, and veggies are baked into a cheesy egg mixture that’s hearty, healthy, and so delicious!
It’s a great one-dish meal for making ahead so your morning will be extra easy. Just pop it in the oven, then serve!
Easy Breakfast Idea!
- With ten minutes of prep, and a little oven time, this hearty breakfast casserole with hash browns is ready to serve! Perfect for big families or big appetites!
- Make ahead and enjoy all week for breakfast or as an energizing workday lunch!
- This hash brown casserole recipe is so versatile! Change the add-ins according to your preferences or use what you have on hand. Try leftover meats, veggies, and cheeses of all kinds. Just chop or shred and toss them into the mix.
Ingredients and Variations
Potatoes: Ready-made fresh shredded potatoes don’t need to be washed, peeled, shredded, or even pre-cooked! However, any kind of hashbrowns, frozen tater tots, or even leftover diced potatoes, will work.
Meat: Ham and eggs are the perfect breakfast combination! But any cooked meat like sliced summer sausage, bacon pieces, chopped sausage links or patties, or even leftover taco meat will add a zesty flavor!
Cheese: Any kind of cheese will do, but cheddar is extra sharp and melty! Shredded mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or parmesan can be mixed and matched – use what you’ve got!
How To Make A Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Prepare a pan or casserole dish (as per the recipe below).
- Combine hash browns with ham, bell peppers, onions, and some cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and seasonings and pour over the hash brown mixture.
- Top with cheese and bake.
Tips & Tricks
Make sure meats and veggies are cut to the same size so they stay suspended in the egg mixture and don’t sink to the bottom where they can burn.
Keep leftover hash brown breakfast casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat portions in the microwave or freeze individual portions for a quick and easy breakfast or light lunch. Simply defrost frozen casserole portions in the refrigerator overnight and pop them in the microwave!
Try this breakfast casserole served with a fruit platter and dip for a special breakfast or brunch!
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place hash browns, ham, bell pepper, green onions and half of the cheese in a greased 9×13 inch pan. Stir to combine.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, cream, salt & pepper. Pour over hash brown mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake 55-60 minutes or until cooked through.
- Be sure that each of the meat and vegetable ingredients are diced, and are the same size to ensure an even mixture. This also prevents them from sinking and sticking to the bottom.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 5 days, and freeze individual portions for up to 2 months.
- If frozen, thaw first, then heat in an oven covered with foil, or reheat portions in the microwave.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe Adapted from Spend With Pennies Hashbrown Casserole.