This easy recipe for Homemade Tzatziki Sauce adds a bright burst of fresh flavor to nearly any entree!
Light and creamy tzatziki is made with Greek yogurt, shredded cucumber, and a splash of lemon and dill. It’s delicious as a sauce, but can also be used as a dressing or a dip. Trade up mayo based recipes for this healthy tzatziki and everyone will want to know the “secret” to the sauce!
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
PIN IT to your DIPS & DRESSINGS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What is Tzatziki Sauce?
- Tzatziki (pronounced ‘tsah-see-key’) is a simple yogurt-based creamy sauce made with shredded cucumbers, garlic, dill, and lemon juice. It’s a healthy sauce with multiple culinary uses!
- Use tzatziki in place of mayonnaise on burgers and sandwiches or baste salmon or lamb before cooking.
- It’s a perfect complement to chicken or pork, and a great dip for everything from veggies to French fries!
What’s in Tzatziki Sauce?
YOGURT: Regular plain yogurt is the standard for tzatziki sauce, while Greek yogurt is thicker and firmer. Choose full-fat blends for the best flavor.
CUCUMBER: An English cucumber is preferred over a standard cuke because it is more dense, and easier to shred. Use a box grater to get the fine shreds tzatziki needs.
SEASONINGS: Fresh dill and lemon juice are critical to bringing out the bright flavors of the yogurt. Freshly chopped mint is also a popular herb to add to tzatziki. Season with a little freshly minced garlic, salt, and pepper, if desired.
How to Make Tzatziki Sauce
This sauce is easy to make and always a hit. Chill thoroughly for the best flavor!
- Shred cucumber with a box grater (no need to peel) and squeeze out as much moisture as possible using a clean paper towel.
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and chopped dill or mint.
Best Ways to Use Homemade Tzatziki
So many ways to add the fresh and tangy flavor of tzatziki to recipes! Here are some faves to try. It’s fantastic on this shrimp pasta salad, and a simple meatball recipe tastes great drizzled with this bright and creamy sauce, too. Or try it on a Greek salad, or simply serve it with your favorite chips, crackers, and veggies like carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Even French fries or sweet potato fries taste great dipped in tzatziki!
Best Shortcut Tips & Tricks
Tzatziki is best served cold. Keep tzatziki covered in the refrigerator for up to two days. Avoid freezing it since the consistency will be too watery once it’s thawed.
Other Delish Dips And Sauces!
- Pickle Dip Recipe – perfect party dip.
- Quick Honey Mustard Sauce Recipe – a delicious condiment.
- Homemade Chip Dip – a recipe every home chef needs.
- Easy Taco Dip – quick, easy and so yummy!
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- Shred cucumber with a grater. Place in a towel and squeeze as much moisture out as possible.
- Combine the cucumber and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix until fully combined and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Tzatziki is best served cold!
- Refrigerate tzatziki for up to two days.
- Caution! If stored longer, there is a risk that the garlic, which has extremely low acidity, may produce botulism, a serious toxin, and that is not a risk worth taking.
- Avoid freezing this sauce as it may become watery.
REPIN this Homemade Tzatziki Sauce recipe!