You will find this fried cabbage recipe super easy to make and is delicious served with Oven Baked Pork Chops or even Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy. Then finish off the evening with a light and fresh Berry Topped Pavlova Dessert.
Fried Cabbage With Bacon
Pin it to your SIDE DISH BOARD to SAVE it!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Fried Cabbage is a delightful vegetable dish that is warm, filling, and a nice change from green beans! It is cooked in very little oil, is easy to make, and it cooks quickly with very little of your attention — just a few stirs!
How To Make Fried Cabbage
- Cook bacon till crisp and set aside.
- Saute onions in butter and reserved bacon drippings.
- Add the remaining veggies and stir fry for about 5 min. Stir in water and sugar and cook for 15 minutes longer.
- Add bacon, season and serve.
WITH MEAT – You can make this fried cabbage with bacon or sausage – either choice will give you a delicious meaty flavor and will add some protein to the dish.
- If you choose sausage, consider using one like kielbasa or smoked turkey sausage, and then cutting it into ¼ inch cubes before cooking it lightly. You can use, hot, medium, or mild sausage depending on your own taste.
- Keep in mind that if you use pre-cooked sausage, lightly cook the meat in 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil so that you will have enough drippings to cook the cabbage and vegetables.
- You can sprinkle the meat on top, or even stir it right in, just before serving!
WITHOUT MEAT – You can easily keep this dish vegetarian by eliminating the meat and using 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (canola or safflower are great!) in place of the meat drippings.
Tips and Tricks!
- This recipe is actually very close to stir fried cabbage because of the fairly low oil needed, and because you should stir the dish at least a few times throughout the cooking time.
- Use a large cast iron skillet! Cast iron (as opposed to a stainless steel or non-stick skillet) seems to add a hearty flavor to this dish. You can of course choose any good-sized skillet, which will work as well.
Change up your vegetable routine with this great tasting Fried Cabbage recipe! You can make this dish quickly and easily, and it will most likely become a regular feature in your household!
Other Delicious Side Dishes To Try
- Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts – a real treat!
- Broccoli Bake – a delicious comfort food side dish.
- Oven Roasted Asparagus – fresh and tasty.
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potatoes – for a hearty appetite!
- Marinated Mushrooms – easy and delicious!
Fried Cabbage With Bacon
- Cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserve drippings, and set aside.
- Add butter to the drippings and cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cabbage, carrot, salt, and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes. Add sugar and water. Let cook until cabbage is softened, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with bacon before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
I add bit if vinegar very tasty. I can eat this for days
So glad you enjoyed it Christene!
I don’t read in direction when to add garlic.
You add it in with the cabbage. Fixed, thank you Nancy!
Try adding a bit of lemon juice just before serving. Brightens the flavor and cuts the greasiness of the bacon. Just a teaspoon or so. My Polish granny taught me that trick.
Sounds great Heather!
Do you have to add sugar to it?
The sugar is a very small amount. I’ve only tried the recipe as written, but think that you can leave it out if you prefer. Enjoy Terri!
try it with egg noodles too it is awesome