Baked broccoli and cheese casserole is a family favorite and for good reason!
Fresh and tender broccoli florets are mixed with cheese and baked under a crispy, cheesy topping of buttery ritz cracker crumbs! This savory dish is so filling and satisfying, nobody will miss the meat! But you can toss in ham, chicken or even macaroni to give it even more substance and flavor, because anything goes with this versatile recipe!
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Casserole!
- Kids love anything cheesy! Broccoli casserole is not only packed with cheese, but it’s got a healthy dose of broccoli and makes for a great meatless dinner!
- Cheesy broccoli casserole is a quick comfort food that needs only 5 ingredients! Prep in the morning, bake and serve on those busy weeknights!
- This is a great recipe to use up bits of leftover meat like chicken, ham, or summer sausage. Extra veggies like peas, carrots, or potatoes can be tossed in, too!
Ingredients And Variations
BROCCOLI: Broccoli is a superfood that’s super easy to cook! Remove any torn leaves or damaged stems and be sure to cut the florets into bite-sized pieces. Cauliflower can be added to the broccoli or substituted entirely in this recipe.
CHEESE: A cheese loaf such as Velveeta, is flavorful and provides the perfect base for broccoli and cheese casserole. For the topping, cheddar cheese has a sharp flavor and works best, but shredded mozzarella or a Mexican blend will give this recipe a new look and flavor every time!
ADD-INS: Cooking for a crowd or need to stretch the budget? Add cooked elbow macaroni, egg noodles, or even white rice to the dish to bulk it up!
How to make Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Prep and cooking are both a breeze with these easy steps.
- Blanch and drain broccoli (per recipe directions below).
- Place broccoli in a casserole dish and pour melted cheese loaf over the top. Top with the crumb mixture and bake until hot and bubbly.
It’s also the perfect side dish along with stovetop meatloaf, crusted chicken or even some homemade chicken nuggets for the kids. Or for a more hearty meal, try this cheesy broccoli casserole alongside tender pork chops with mushroom gravy or savory hamburger steak and gravy.
- Frozen broccoli florets can be used in this recipe and they’re already cut to the perfect size!
- Prep the casserole in advance, cover, and chill until it’s ready for the topping and bake time!
- Save leftover baked broccoli and cheese casserole in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat portions in the microwave as desired.
- Portions can be frozen in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks. Thaw and reheat with cooked macaroni or freshly blanched broccoli.
Best Broccoli Recipes!
- Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole – a hearty side dish
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – a complete meal in under an hour
- Broccoli Salad – so fresh and delicious!
- Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Asiago – warm and comforting
- Chinese Broccoli – a 20 minute side dish
Baked Broccoli And Cheese Casserole
- 6 -8 cups broccoli florets fresh or frozen
- ¾ pound processed cheese loaf , such as Velveeta
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup buttery crackers crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- Place broccoli in boiling water and cook until tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes for fresh or 3 minutes for frozen. Drain very well. Place broccoli in a 2½ - 3 quart casserole dish.
- Add the cheese loaf to the pot where the broccoli was cooked, and melt over medium heat. Pour melted cheese evenly over broccoli.
- In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients together. Spread over top of the broccoli and cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Use frozen broccoli florets to save time!
- Cheese loaf can also be melted in the microwave if desired. Use 30 second intervals and stir until smooth.
- Prep everything in advance, cover, and refrigerate. Top with the cheese cracker crumb topping and bake!
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
- Microwave portions to reheat as needed.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.