This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you are looking for a delicious comfort food side dish, then this Broccoli Bake is for you! Tender broccoli baked in a piping hot cheddar cheese sauce, and covered with a crisp savory topping will make this casserole the one that disappears first at the potluck.
Even picky toddlers will love this dish! This is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies, and broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables they could eat! Broccoli is the main attraction in this recipe, leaving out the starches that you’ll find in other dishes like cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole.
Pin it your SIDES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Cutting Broccoli Into Florets
You can definitely use frozen broccoli for this side dish, but I prefer making fresh broccoli casserole. And it’s very easy to cut broccoli into florets. Here’s how!
- Cut the tough part off the stalk and then cut again as close as you can to where the florets start.
- You can definitely use the stalk if you like. Slice it into half inch pieces and dice evenly.
- Now break the head apart and cut close to the head of each stalk.
- Break remaining florets into even smaller pieces, and cut off any stalks that are too long, dicing them to the desired size.
Let’s Get Cooking
- Prepare – Preheat oven to 375˚F, crush the crackers, shred the cheddar cheese and melt butter. Gather any remaining ingredients. Set aside a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Pre cook – The broccoli needs a little head start for this casserole, so place in boiling water for only about 4-5 minutes. Drain well.
- Topping – While broccoli is cooking, combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- Make the sauce – Over medium low heat, melt butter then add flour. Stir with a whisk until mixture is thick paste. Add milk a little at a time, whisking constantly. Continue until all the milk is incorporated. Turn heat to medium heat and cook until sauce is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat, then stir in the cheese.
- Season – With salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble – Place pre-cooked broccoli in baking dish, pour cheese sauce over the top followed with the topping.
- Bake – This casserole will only take about 20-25 minutes to heat through.
Can I Reheat It?
It’s easy to reheat this broccoli cheese casserole. Just add a little milk to thin the sauce, then either microwave or bake.
- To use the microwave, heat individual portions for best results.
- Using the oven, cover with foil and reheat until bubbly.
Try mixing in some french fried onions if you like, and top with more shredded cheese to freshen it up. Try adding a little hot sauce on top to make it even tastier!
This baked broccoli is one of those recipes that’s even better the second day!
My Favorite Mains
This broccoli cheese bake might end up being just as popular as the main dish, so be prepared to make it again and again!
Other Delicious Broccoli Recipes To Try!
Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole – almost a meal in itself!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – so satisfying!
Broccoli Salad – fresh and delicious!
Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Asiago – a heart warming soup!
Chinese Broccoli – a simple side dish!
Easy Broccoli Bake combines tender broccoli with a creamy cheese sauce, that is covered with a crisp savory topping then baked until hot and bubbly.
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper optional, and to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup buttery crackers crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
Place broccoli in boiling water and cook until tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Drain very well.
Melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk a little at a time until smooth, continue cooking until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Place broccoli in a 2qt casserole dish. Top with cheese sauce and topping.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)