Make light and fluffy dinner rolls in less than one hour with this recipe for Easy Dinner Rolls!
This homemade recipe for quick dinner rolls is going to become your favorite! Soft and delicious dinner rolls are the perfect addition to any special roast beef or turkey dinner, and are also wonderful for spreads, dipping into soups or stews, and even used for sliders!
Easy Dinner Rolls
PIN IT to your SIDES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Dinner Roll Recipe
- It’s a great recipe to practice with and a good recipe for teaching kids too.
- This yeast bread is foolproof, and no bread machine required!
- These quick dinner rolls are great to bring to parties, potlucks, and barbecues.
- Homemade dinner roll dough can be frozen, too
- Best 1-hour quick buns recipe, perfect for first time bread bakers
FLOUR – White flour guarantees a light, flaky roll, but a whole wheat version can be made by using a ratio of half white and half whole wheat flour. For gluten-free rolls, use a 1:1 ratio of gluten-free baking flour for the white flour.
DAIRY – Give the rolls that melt-in-your-mouth tenderness and a higher rise. The sugar content should not be adjusted since it feeds the yeast.
How to Check for Fresh Yeast
Nothing is worse than expired or non-active yeast! You can check to be sure it will work by simply watching your yeast. Within 10 minutes of combining the water, yeast and sugar, it should be bubbling on the surface with a strong aroma. If it’s not, you should stop and begin again using fresh yeast.
How To Make Dinner Rolls
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, sprinkle sugar on top. (Yeast should start to bubble within 10 minutes.)
- Heat milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a saucepan (per recipe below).
- Combine yeast mixture with milk, then add flour until combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface & knead until it is smooth. Cover & let rest for 15 minutes.
How To Shape Dinner Rolls
- Roll out dough and cut in equal portions if using a circle cutter.
- No biscuit cutter? No problem! Use a ring from a canning jar or any clean tin can or glass in the size desired.
- Brush with melted butter and bake until golden brown on top.
- Rolls can also be formed by hand and baked side-by-side in a greased dish. Simply pull apart after baking.
- For easier mixing, create a well in the center of the flour in a bowl before adding the liquid mixture, then, stir the flour towards the center.
- Add some quick and easy seasonings to the flour mixture. Garlic powder and dried parsley, or dried Italian seasoning add a savory flavor to dinner rolls! Or add the seasonings to the melted butter and brush over the rolls before baking!
How To Reheat Dinner Rolls
Keep leftover dinner rolls in a zippered bag or covered container at room temperature and they will last about 3 days. Reheat them by wrapping rolls in aluminum foil and placing them in a 350°F oven until heated through.
Time Saving Tips
For easy dinner rolls any time, make a double batch of the dough and freeze the cut rolls for up to a month in a zippered bag. Remove frozen rolls and let them thaw fully before baking.
Best Recipes for Dinner Rolls
- BBQ Bacon Chicken Sliders – easy recipe!
- Italian Sliders – tasty!
- Slow Cooker Leek Soup – just right for dipping
- Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe – thick and flavorful.
- Quick And Easy Chili – for a quick dinner.
Easy Dinner Rolls
- Dissolve yeast in a ¼ cup lukewarm water and sprinkle ¼ teaspoon sugar on top. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan combine milk, butter, salt, and sugar. Heat until melted.
- Combine liquid mixture with yeast mixture and add flour. Stir until combined.
- Knead on a floured counter for 4 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Turn onto the counter and form into ½ inch thick slab, using a circle cutter cut out circles.
- Place on a tray and brush with butter, allow to rise for 10 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.