One of the best shortcut kitchen tricks is to cook portions of baked shredded chicken for meal prep, so it’s ready to use in all your favorite entrées, all week long! You’ll want to keep this recipe handy since it’s so versatile. Enchiladas or tacos, anyone?
Easy Shredded Chicken
PIN IT to your DINNER board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Baked Shredded Chicken
- Quick and easy recipes are always great and this one does not disappoint!
- Chicken breasts are affordable sources of protein that are super versatile!
- Healthy, low-carb proteins will keep you feeling full without sacrificing flavor!
- Shredded chicken is the ideal shortcut trick for throwing together a quick and easy dinner!
What Type of Chicken Is Best for Shredding?
CHICKEN BREAST OR THIGHS – Boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs are best for shredding because both cuts are naturally moist and will stay tender. However, even leftover chicken pieces from a whole or rotisserie chicken can be shredded if the bones and skin are removed.
SEASONING – For this recipe, we keep it simple using a blend of garlic and onion powder and salt and pepper. But we also like tossing chicken breasts with pre-packaged seasoning mixes like taco, chili, even Ranch dressing before baking in oven.
VEGETABLES – For tacos or fajitas, bake strips of bell peppers and onions with the chicken in a Dutch oven instead of the Crockpot, for an easy one-dish dinner! Use a small can of diced tomatoes with the juice in place of the water and some taco seasoning!
How To Make Shredded Chicken In The Oven
Shredded chicken is super easy to make in 1, 2,3!
- Toss chicken with seasonings and place in a casserole dish with water.
- Cover and bake (per recipe below), until chicken is tender.
- Remove from oven and shred the chicken using two forks.
Recipe Ideas for Easy Shredded Chicken
Try this easy recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip with Bacon recipe, which can be made in the Instant Pot, oven, or slow cooker! For a low carb wrap try this tasty and check out this Spinach & Tomato Chicken Pasta Salad. And you can never go wrong with Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole, which is always a favorite, or add shredded chicken to this Veggie Feta Pasta Recipe or Chicken and Egg Noodles for a hearty meal!
- Choose boneless, skinless chicken breasts so the meat is easier to shred once it’s cooked. Or, bake with the skin on for extra flavor and remove after cooking if desired.
- Freeze portions of oven-baked chicken in quart-sized bags for individual meals, then just thaw and add to your favorite easy recipes like this Buffalo Chicken Ring!
Other Chicken Recipes To Try!
- CrockPot Chicken Noodle Soup – a great way to use cooked chicken.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip with Bacon recipe – zesty and delicious appetizer!
- BLT Rotisserie Chicken Salad Sandwich – ready in no time.
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole – so easy and tasty!
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken – extra moist and tender.
Easy Shredded Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss chicken with oil and seasonings.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish with ¼ cup of water and cover with foil.
- Cook in the oven covered for 30-35 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and pull the chicken apart using two forks.