Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When you’re short on time or money is tight, this Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the answer to the dinner dilemma!
Who doesn’t love an enchilada casserole? This basic recipe is good for new home cooks looking to expand their skills or for teaching kids in the kitchen—plus, it feeds a crowd!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
REPIN to your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Enchilada Casserole
Enchilada casserole is one of our favorites because it’s easy to make and a little bit goes a long way! A few ingredients, some prep steps, and it goes right in the oven! Or, assemble it in the morning and bake it later! Enchilada casseroles are great to take to potlucks, parties, or buffets because the servings can be any size the guest wants!
Ingredients and Variations
Like all enchilada recipes, this one has the basics: corn tortillas, meat, sauce, cheese, and taco seasoning. This simple recipe uses chicken, black beans, an onion, a bell pepper, and green enchilada sauce mixed with sour cream.
TORTILLAS – This recipe calls for corn tortillas, but enchiladas can also be made with flour tortillas. Go ahead and use whole grain sandwich wraps for an extra boost of fiber and nutrition.
MEAT – Use ground beef or turkey, chopped chicken, leftover pulled pork, anything goes well with this enchilada casserole!
VEGGIES – Besides bell peppers and onion, other veggies can be added like diced tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, jalapenos, or green chilis.
OTHER TASTY ADDITIONS
- If green enchilada sauce is hard to come by, use salsa or taco sauce.
- Enchilada casseroles are great for using up leftovers, even leftover cooked scrambled eggs!
- For extra heat, add a few dashes of tabasco!
- Top with sliced black olives, jalapenos, and shredded cheese for presentation before serving!
How To Make Enchilada Casserole
This enchilada casserole is super easy to pull together, it’s like making a Mexican lasagna!
- Combine sauce, sauté veggies, simmer with seasoning, meat and beans
- Spread half the sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover with tortillas.
- Layer with half the meat mixture. Top with half the cheese. Spread the other half of the sauce over the cheese.
- Layer with more tortillas, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, and allow to set before serving.
What to Serve with Enchilada Casserole
While this Chicken Enchilada Casserole can stand by itself as a complete meal in one dish, you can always add a side southwest pasta salad or even a fresh tomato salad if you have an extra hungry crew. And why not mix up a batch of watermelon sangria to go with it? It will be fiesta time at your house tonight!
Tips & Tricks
- Use cooked chicken that is shredded so it layers better over the tortillas. If using ground beef, break it up into smaller pieces for the same reason.
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole can be frozen, too! Before assembling, line the casserole dish with foil and let the foil fold over the edges of the long sides about 6” on each side.
- For an uncooked casserole, fold the foil over the top of the assembled casserole, cover in plastic wrap and freeze. Once frozen, lift the casserole out of the dish, double wrap with plastic, and label it with the date. It should keep about 1 month.
- For a cooked casserole or leftovers, first allow it to cool completely. Then cut it into individual portions, wrap in foil followed by plastic, label with the date and freeze. Easy for grab and go school or work lunches!
Other Recipes To Try!
- Taco Salad Bowl with Creamy Avocado Dressing – a delicious entree salad.
- Fajita Pasta – a tasty twist.
- Easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos recipe – perfect weeknight meal.
- Beef Enchiladas – easy dinner!
- Homemade Salsa Recipe – zesty!
With just a few ingredients and some simple prep, this Chicken Enchilada Casserole makes an easy and delicious weeknight meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper red or green, diced
- ½ cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 28 oz green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 small corn tortillas 6" each
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine sour cream and enchilada sauce. Set aside.
Cook onion in oil 4 minutes or until slightly tender. Add bell pepper and cook 3 minutes more.
Stir in taco seasoning, chicken and black beans with ⅔ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
Place ½ cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Layer 6 tortillas on top. Add ½ of the chicken mixture and ½ of the cheese. Top with half of the remaining enchilada sauce.
Add 6 more tortillas, remaining chicken mixture, remaining enchilada sauce and finally the remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Cool 10 minutes before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)