This baked Apricot Chicken Recipe is so easy to make with just 4 ingredients!
This easy sweet and sour chicken recipe is restaurant-worthy, but made in just minutes at home! Baked chicken pieces become tender and juicy on the inside with a sweet and sticky apricot sauce on the outside. And using just four ingredients and one casserole dish, this entree could not be easier!
Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Four ingredients, one dish, and one step are all it takes to make this impressive dish! Bring them to a bbq or picnic and watch them disappear!
- Any chicken pieces will do. Or bake them using chicken wings and have delicious appetizers ready just in time for the big game!
- Make Russian chicken in batches and use it all week long for easy lunches and dinners!
4 Ingredient Recipe
CHICKEN: This is a great recipe for any combination of chicken pieces! Legs, thighs, breasts, drumsticks, cutlets, or wings can be mixed or matched in this recipe. Just be sure to adjust the time and cook to 165 F.
JAM: Apricot jam has bits of fruit in it and adds heft to the sauce so it clings to the chicken pieces. Other citrusy jams and preserves to try are peach jam and orange marmalade.
DRESSING: Russian or French dressing adds the perfect tangy flavor that complements the jam. Onion soup mix adds a savory element and helps thicken the sauce.
PRO TIP: A dash of soy sauce will offset the sweet jam. Season as desired.
How to Make Apricot Chicken
Super quick and easy this dish is also sweet and delicious.
- Place chicken pieces in a baking dish (as per the recipe below).
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Bake until chicken is cooked.
Serve apricot chicken with a side of ramen noodles, rice a roni, or a healthy mix of veggies like oven-roasted vegetables, stir-fried broccoli, or Chinese broccoli. Make some shrimp toast appetizers or these chicken avocado egg rolls.
Tips & Tricks
- Line the baking dish with parchment paper for easy clean-up (the sauce is very sticky and might be hard to clean)!
- Prep, assemble and cover the apricot chicken and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Or, bake ahead, chill pieces and reheat as necessary.
- Keep leftover apricot chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat pieces in the microwave or enjoy them cold. Freeze leftovers in zippered bags for up to 6 weeks. Thaw before reheating.
Leftover chicken makes for an energizing school or workday lunch! Shred it and top a salad or tuck it into a wrap or pita pocket with lettuce, tomato, and a slice of red onion.
Other Easy Chicken Entrees!
- Quick Asian Chicken Salad – fresh and delish.
- Creamy Chicken Dijon – 15-minute prep.
- Sweet Garlic Chicken Recipe – full of flavor.
- Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks – so quick and easy.
- Parmesan Crusted Mayonnaise Chicken – it almost melts in your mouth.
Apricot Chicken Recipe
- 10 pieces chicken Legs, thighs, or breasts
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 cup Russian dressing or French dressing
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix 1 ounce package
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place chicken in a baking dish.
- Mix together jam, dressing, and onion soup mix, then pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Use parchment paper to line the baking dish for easy clean-up.
- This recipe will work with up to 20 chicken wings.
- For a thicker sauce, whisk in a slurry made with 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water. Cook sauce until thick.
- Optional ingredients that can be added are drained pineapple chunks, diced red or green pepper, red chili flakes, onions or a bit of soy sauce for extra flavor.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooled chicken in zippered bags for up to 6 weeks. Thaw before reheating.
- Leftover chicken can be enjoyed cold, or added to other recipes.
- Reheat chicken if desired in the microwave, or covered with foil in the oven.
REPIN this Apricot Chicken recipe!