This easy Sweet Garlic Chicken Recipe makes the ultimate sweet, savory, and spicy entree!
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are oven-baked in a brown sugar butter sauce with a pinch of red pepper flakes. This tasty Asian-inspired main dish goes with so many side dishes. Serve it over rice, or have it with a crunchy green salad. Anyway it’s served, it’s always a hit.
Sweet Garlic Chicken Recipe
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Sweet Garlic Chicken Breast
- Simple enough to make every day, but classy enough for company! Garlic chicken comes out tender, juicy, and so delicious, it’ll be on constant recipe rotation!
- On the table in less than 30 minutes, this easy garlic chicken breast recipe is a great prep dish for use all week. Use it in this BLT Rotisserie Chicken Salad Sandwich or have it in a wrap. Try adding it to this BBQ Chicken Macaroni Salad recipe in place of BBQ chicken, or shred and add to favorite rice bowls.
- The delicious butter, brown sugar, and spicy sauce are so versatile, why not experiment with all the ways they can be used?
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken: Fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the best choice for this dish, but small wings and drummettes can be used to make an appetizer dish. Pork Tenderloin and even steak bites can be used as well.
Sauce: This basic sauce is perfect as it is or with just a few additions, it can also be used to glaze vegetables like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.
- Ghee (clarified butter) can be used in place of butter, as can sesame oil and even leftover, melted bacon fat.
- Replace brown sugar with honey, molasses, or even a sugar-free substitute like Swerve. Simply sweeten to taste.
- Red pepper flakes add a pop of exotic color and a spicy kick.
- Ground cayenne pepper or even a tablespoon of salsa can be melted in the sauce before the chicken is added.
- Bake sweet garlic chicken with a sprig of fresh fennel to infuse into the chicken with a slice of lemon.
Make This Sweet Garlic Chicken Recipe
Sweet garlic chicken is as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Cook the garlic in butter and then add the red pepper flakes (per recipe below).
- Pour over the seasoned chicken and bake until the chicken reads 165° F.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
PRO TIP: Cut breasts into 1” cubes and thread onto skewers soaked in water before baking for an elegant, hand-held appetizer. Garnish with sliced green onions cut diagonally for a restaurant-worthy presentation.
What to Serve With Sweet Garlic Chicken
Garlic chicken has a bright, bold flavor and needs equally delicious sides! Try these inspirational Asian appetizers and sides. Some creamy and crispy Green Bean Bites make great starters, and for a side, try some Chinese Broccoli, or an Orzo Pasta Salad.
Tips and Time Savers!
- Gently pound chicken breasts into even thickness before baking.
- Always use a meat thermometer to guarantee the chicken is cooked properly, it also prevents the chicken from overcooking and getting dry. Chicken should reach a safe internal temperature of 165°F.
- The sauce can be made in advance and kept in a container in the refrigerator. Simply heat it on the stove.
Easy Chicken Entrees
- Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks – Economical & easy dinner-
- Honey Lemon Chicken– Tangy and sweet flavors!
- Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole – One and done!
- Sweet & Sour Chicken – Classic favorite.
- Creamy Chicken Dijon – just 15 minute prep.
Garlic Chicken Breast Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or baking dish.
- Heat butter in a small sauce pan, add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and chili flakes if using.
- Place the chicken breasts on the prepared pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 22-25 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Be sure chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F for safe consumption.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.