Chinese Shrimp Toast
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chinese Shrimp Toast is perfect retro appetizer filled with a soft shrimp mixture on the inside, and crunchy outside. It is an easy dish to make at home that tastes better than at the restaurant.
Chinese Shrimp Toast
Pin it to your APPETIZER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
When it comes to a mouthwatering appetizer, this Chinese Shrimp Toast is definitely top of the list. It is such a rich, yet balanced dish that makes you crave it every time you think of an appetizer. Not only is it easy to make at home but it is much cheaper than ordering it at the restaurant.
These shrimp toasts make for excellent party food, as it pairs well with cocktails, beer, or wine. If you are holding a larger event or gathering, feel free to give this shrimp toast recipe a try. It is definitely a winner! I usually make about 12 triangles at once, but you can easily double or triple the size by simply increasing the ingredients in the mixture.
What Is Shrimp Toast?
This dish originates from China and is a classic takeout dish. Many believe this is a very sophisticated and complex recipe, when in reality it is basically bread spread with a mixture of shrimp paste over it and then fried till perfectly golden brown.
This is not the healthiest of appetizers because it is fried, but is surely super delicious and ideal to serve at a party or various events.
How To Make Chinese Shrimp Toast?
- Make this dish is quite simple. It all starts with the shrimp paste which is basically the spread used on the bread.
- Use a food processor to make the paste, as it will save you time. However, if you do not have a food processor, feel free to mince the shrimp by hand.
- Once you have the shrimp processed or minced, add the rest of the ingredients to have a smooth texture.
- Spread the paste over the bread.
- Fry the pieces over the medium-high heat in a pan on each side, till perfectly crisp and golden-brown.
When choosing what to serve with Chinese Shrimp Toast, be mindful they are best served fresh and warm! They are perfect on their own, but you can use some sauce to dip into. Some great ones would be sweet chili sauce or a mayo-based sauce. Alternately, you could serve them with a salad on the side and enjoy as a full meal.
- This recipe is great to make with shrimp, but you can use other ingredients if you desire. It would work well with salmon, tuna, or crab. Simply follow the same instruction and just swap the shrimp with your desired ingredient.
- You can cut the bread in your desired shapes and form. I like to cut them into a triangle, but a square works as well.
- For more texture and flavor, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. It gives them a festive look, and also a nice taste to them.
More Delicious Appetizers To Try
Shrimp Dip – Super Seafood Dip!
Crab & Cheese Filled Crescent Rolls – A favorite!
Buffalo Chicken Sliders – Perfect for a crowd!
Cheesy Pizza Dip – Pizza Love!
BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites – So tempting!
Chinese Shrimp Toast is perfect retro appetizer filled with a soft shrimp mixture on the inside and crunchy outside.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup green onions diced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white beaten
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Finely mince the shrimp and add to a medium bowl.
- Add green onion, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, cornstarch and beaten egg white. Stir well to combine.
- Divide the mixture among 4 slices of white sandwich bread and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and top each slice with another slice of bread, pressing it slightly.
- Place a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat and add about ⅛ inch of oil. Heat until shimmering.
- Fry the sandwiches until golden, for about 2-3 minutes, flip and fry for another 1 minute. Transfer to a surface lined with paper towels to drain excess grease. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut each slice diagonally to create a triangle.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds, green onions and soy sauce on the side.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)