These simple to make Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks are coated in a thick and sweet soy and stir fry sauce.
Baked in oven until the sauce thickens and caramelizes, this soy sauce chicken recipe is sweet and flavorful. Just a few ingredients are needed to make this tasty, Chinese inspired main dish. Serve it with white rice or noodles for a filling and satisfying meal.
Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Soy Sauce Drumsticks
- These easy drumsticks are marinated in a sweet stir fry sauce, giving them a taste just like a Chinese restaurant would serve. Add a side of sticky white rice, some Stir Fried Broccoli and the meal is made!
- Chicken drumsticks are an economical cut of meat, making this meal easy on the pocketbook. What’s more, there are only 3 main ingredients in this recipe.
- Bake soy sauce drumsticks in oven, or cook them in the air fryer. Either way, they will turn out sticky, sweet and delicious!
Easy 3 Ingredient Recipe
CHICKEN – This recipe calls for chicken drumsticks, however don’t hesitate to try other pieces like wings, chicken breast, or thighs.
SOY SAUCE – Any generic brand of soy sauce will work for this recipe. Tamari will also work if soy sauce is not available, or if looking for a gluten free option. Can’t eat soy? Try using fermented coconut sap which has a similar flavor to soy sauce (it can be found in the health food aisle).
STIR FRY SAUCE – The choices are plentiful when choosing this sauce. Try one sweetened with honey, or garlic or even ginger. All of them will work as a delicious marinade.
VARIATIONS To make the sauce a little thicker, add a cornstarch slurry towards the end of cooking time.
How To Make Soy Sauce Chicken
- Combine sauces and marinate chicken.
- Bake as per the recipe below.
- Optional: Stir in a cornstarch slurry to thicken.
- Garnish and serve.
What To Serve With Soy Sauce Drumsticks
Tips & Tricks!
Prepare the chicken the night before and let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight. The extra time means extra flavor!
Instead of baking in oven, use the air fryer for a quicker cook time. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F and cook for 10 minutes. Flip and cook for another 10 minutes.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or frozen for 2-3 months. To reheat, let drumsticks them thaw in the refrigerator, then place in a preheated 325°F oven for 25 minutes or until heated through.
Other Easy Chicken Recipes!
- Sweet & Sour Chicken – sticky and delicious.
- Honey Lemon Chicken – only 5 minutes to prep!
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips – for dinner or as an appetizer.
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken – quick, easy and so tasty.
Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅔ cup stir fry sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch optional
- 2 green onions whites and greens divided
- Thinly slice the green onions dividing the whites and greens. Set the greens aside for garnish.
- Combine chicken, sauces, and green onion whites in a bowl or ziplock bag and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken and sauce in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes then flip chicken over and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Optional: Remove chicken from the baking dish and mix in cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water with the sauce. Put sauce mixture back in the oven and let thicken for 1-2 minutes.
- Once it has reached the desired consistency, pour over chicken and garnish with green onions.