Texas Toast Sloppy Joes are huge, open-faced sandwiches that will satisfy even the heartiest eater!
Serve sloppy joes on Texas toast with loads of melty mozzarella cheese on top, and then watch them disappear. Everybody loves a sloppy joe sandwich, but with this recipe, these sandwiches can be made and served all at once straight out of the oven. Super convenient and extra tasty!
Easy Sloppy Joe Melts
- Sloppy joes on Texas toast are a quick dinner recipe that’s ready in minutes! Perfect for hungry families on busy weeknights!
- This delish dish is super easy to make! And it’s so convenient since several servings can be cooked and served from a single baking sheet!
- This is a great recipe to use up leftover veggies or to sneak in veggies for picky eaters!
- Make sloppy Texas toast as a fun group activity for parties and sleepovers – everyone can build their own!
Ingredients and Variations
GROUND BEEF: Any ground beef will do! And this recipe is also a great way to use leftover taco meat or meatloaf. Ground sausage will add more flavor, but any leftover meat can be added to the skillet!
SAUCE: Store-bought sloppy joe sauce is a real time-saver! But a packaged mix can be added to the ground beef with a can of tomato paste and a little bit of water. Or make a homemade version with tomato paste, brown sugar, mustard, onion, and Worcestershire sauce.
TOAST: Texas toast is thick, so it’s perfect for this recipe. Burger buns, dinner rolls, or thick slices of a baguette will also work!
TOPPINGS: Make a sloppy joe bar and offer bowls of extra cheese, sliced jalapenos, diced avocados or tomatoes, and some salsa!
How to Make Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- Cook beef and onion and then add sloppy Joe sauce.
- While the sauce is simmering, bake Texas toast in the oven.
- Remove toast from oven, top with sloppy joe sauce and mozzarella, and bake 5 minutes longer.
What Goes with Sloppy Joes?
Sides dishes for sloppy joes are only limited to the imagination! Serve with some air fryer home fries, Cajun fries, or some sweet potato fries. Or make this deliciously creamy potato salad, some tasty Mexican corn salad or simply open a can of creamed corn to serve on the side! For dessert why not serve this simple strawberry rhubarb cobbler or some Crock pot apple crisp?
- For extra Texas toast flavor, rub a clove of garlic over the baked bread before adding the sloppy joe mixture.
- Keep leftover sloppy joe mixture separate from the Texas toast.
- To serve leftovers, simply toast fresh slices of bread and reheat the meat mixture on the stovetop!
Super Sloppy Joes Recipes!
- Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce – so easy
- Baked Sloppy Joe Tacos – a unique twist!
- Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole – perfect dinner idea
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 15 ounces sloppy joe sauce or 1 batch homemade sauce
- 6 pieces frozen Texas toast
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion until no pink remains. Drain fat.
- Add sloppy joe sauce and simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Place frozen Texas toast slices on a large baking sheet. Bake in oven for about 5 minutes or until golden.
- Divide the sloppy joe mixture over the toasted bread and top with cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
- Alternately, after cheese is added to the sloppy joe mixture, broil for 1 minute until cheese is melted.
- Try rubbing a clove of garlic over the baked bread before adding the sloppy joe mixture for a delicious flavor.
- Refrigerate leftover sloppy joe mixture separate from the toast.
- Reheat sloppy joe mixture on the stovetop and repeat from step 4 for a quick lunch or dinner.