There’s no better way to start the day than with this hot and cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe!
All the breakfast faves are here: tater tots, scrambled eggs, bacon, veggies, oh, and did we say cheese? This easy, overnight casserole is a hot and hearty way to kick start any day! Serve it for a special Sunday brunch, and guests will thank you!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
PIN IT to your BREAKFAST board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Best Breakfast Casserole
- Why wait for the weekend to enjoy this tasty bake? It’s prepped the night before and just needs to be popped in the oven, so it’s perfect for fueling up the family before school and work!
- Simple ingredients layered in a casserole dish will make for easy prep and one-dish baking and serving. This is the ultimate recipe to share at a breakfast buffet or brunch. Add some Easy Drop Biscuit Recipe and some sweet treats like these No Yeast Cinnamon Rolls. Don’t forget a side of Fruit Kabobs with Chocolate Drizzle or some grab-and-go Peanut Butter Breakfast Bar Recipe.
- Prep two and freeze one for later! See instructions below.
Ingredients & Variations
TATER TOTS No need to thaw tots for this recipe. Just layer across the bottom of a casserole dish. Hash browns and scalloped potatoes are good bottom layers, too.
EGG BATTER Large eggs are best for this recipe to guarantee maximum fluffiness. For a higher protein bake, add two egg whites to the milk with the seasonings. Make it spicy and stir in a package of taco or chili seasoning for a southwestern flair.
MEAT Bacon makes everything better! Breakfast casserole is a great way to use up leftover meat like Easy Shredded Chicken, ground beef or pork, or cubes of ham. Sausage breakfast links can be cut into pieces and used instead of bacon.
VEGGIES Bell peppers add a colorful crunch. Sliced mushrooms, green onions, spinach, kale, diced tomatoes, or jalapenos make this a new dish every time.
TOPPINGS Offer up bowls of sour cream, Grilled Corn Guacamole, or this Homemade Salsa Recipe so everyone can DIY their own dish.
How to Make Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots
Tater tot breakfast casserole is fun to prepare and will be ready to bake in the morning!
- Layer tater tots and 1 cup cheese on the bottom of a prepared casserole dish.
- Cook bacon, drain and crumble. Saute vegetables and sprinkle over tater tots, followed by 2/3 of the bacon.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and seasonings. Pour over casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Bake casserole (per the recipe below), with remaining cheese and bacon.
Make Ahead and Freeze
- Line a casserole dish with aluminum foil that extends 6” over both horizontal sides.
- Assemble casserole as directed in the recipe below.
- Fold over the aluminum foil on both sides and freeze the casserole overnight.
- Carefully remove frozen casserole and wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
- Label the top with the date and freeze for up to 6 weeks.
- To bake: place the casserole in a casserole dish and bake uncovered until cooked through.
Tips & Tricks
- Let the casserole rest about 5 minutes before cutting it, so that it will hold together.
- Save bacon drippings in a jar for future recipes!
- Tater tot casserole tastes better the next day! Keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat portions in the microwave, in the oven or under the broiler so the top gets nice and crispy.
More Breakfast Ideas
- Cheesy Breakfast Crescent Ring – quick and easy.
- Breakfast Enchilada Casserole – cheesy and filling.
- Overnight Blueberry Breakfast Cake– blue and healthy.
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich – a classic.
- Ham and Cheese Croissant Braid – simple breakfast or lunch.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 20 ounces tater tots
- 1 pound bacon or 1 pound sausage
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 6 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese divided
- In a greased 9x13 pan, spread the tater tots in a single layer. Top with 1 cup of cheese.
- In a medium skillet cook bacon until crisp. Then remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add onions to the pan and cook over medium heat until softened. Sitr in bell peppers and sprinkle over the tater tots along with ⅔ of the bacon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and seasonings, then pour over the tater tots.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, preheat the oven for 350°F and cook covered casserole for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil, top with cheese and remaining bacon. Bake at 425°F for an additional 15-20 minutes or until set and the cheese is browned.
- Egg based dishes should be cooked to 160˚F.
- Allow casserole to rest about 5 minutes for it to set.
- Reserve bacon drippings for future recipes.
- Refrigerate casserole for up to 4 days. Freeze wrapped tightly for up to 6 weeks. Thaw in refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheat in the microwave, the oven or under the broiler.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe!
Recipe Adapted from Spend with Pennies