Overnight Blueberry Breakfast Cake is loaded with juicy blueberries, laced with vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and topped with brown sugar for a perfect finish. This cake is great for the busy holiday mornings!
This recipe is slightly lightened up and a bit healthier than a traditional blueberry coffee cake recipe! Top it with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a bit of whipped topping for a delicious dessert we all love!
Overnight Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Pin it to your BREAKFAST BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
Cake for Breakfast!
This scrumptious Blueberry Cake recipe is hearty and — dare I say — a lot healthier than other breakfast cake recipes! Ingredients like whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt, and applesauce give this breakfast treat a wholesome edge without sacrificing flavor.
But don’t worry, there’s plenty of other yummy stuff in there, too. A mix of white and brown sugars means this easy cake is deliciously sweet, plus warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg make each bite extra comforting.
If you’re looking for a change from savory breakfasts (like Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas), try making this easy Blueberry Cake for Sunday morning breakfasts with the family. Since you mix up the batter the night before, all you have to do in the morning is top it with a few extra blueberries and brown sugar and pop it in the oven and sip your coffee until it’s baked!
How to Make Blueberry Cake
If you have a hard time getting breakfast together before you’ve had your morning coffee, this easy Blueberry Cake may be the perfect solution! A moist cake made with blueberries and spices make this recipe a crowd-pleaser, plus night-before prep makes for easy mornings.
- Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls.
- Slowly mix all ingredients together and layer in a cake pan: batter, blueberries, batter, and blueberries!
- Chill for 8 – 24 hours before baking.
This recipe is also a great option to serve for brunch get-togethers and tastes wonderful when paired with orange juice, coffee, or mimosas. Plus, little hands-on time means you can spend more time preparing other dishes or mingling with your guests!
How to Store Leftover Blueberry Cake
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, these berry-filled slices make delicious and satiating afternoon snacks or grab-and-go breakfasts on busy mornings. And if you have kids who are picky breakfast eaters (or they just can’t get themselves out of bed!) they can take a slice to-go as they head out the door.
- Counter: This cake will last on the counter for 3-4 days. Just cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container.
- Fridge: To store in the fridge place in an airtight container or zippered bag. It should last up to a week in the fridge.
- Freezer: This cake freezes great. Cut into individual slices and freeze in an airtight container or zippered bag for up to 1 month!
With a little advance preparation, blueberry breakfast cake lets you enjoy the best of both worlds: tasty breakfasts and long, lazy mornings! Try making this recipe for your loved ones, and enjoy spending less time in the kitchen and more time lounging in your PJ’s. But if you’re really in a baking mood, don’t forget to whip up a batch of my Toll House Cookie recipe!
Best Blueberry Baking!
Maine, my home state, is famous for growing big, juicy blueberries, which we pick every summer. We always bring home a lot – which means some are used for family-favorite recipes, like this blueberry breakfast cake!
Blueberry Coffee Cake – perfect tender cake
Blueberry Muffins – ready in less than 30 mins!
Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake – best served hot & bubbly
Slow Cooker Blueberry Cobbler – made with 3 ingredients!
Blueberry Cheesecake – rich, creamy & flavorful!
Needless to say, I’ll be savoring this wholesome cake recipe all summer long. How about you?
Overnight Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh blueberries divided
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- whipped cream topping optional
- Spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, gently beat the eggs. Add the yogurt, oil, applesauce and vanilla extract and beat together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Layer half of the blueberries on top. Top with the remaining batter.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours. Remove the pan from the fridge 30 minutes prior to baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and mix the remaining blueberries together with the brown sugar and spread over the top of the cake. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean from the center of the cake.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.