For a fun weeknight dinner that the whole family will love, or even a quick and tasty entrée for movie night, this cheesy Cowboy Casserole is just the ticket! This super easy recipe can even be made in advance and held hot in a crockpot!
This casserole is so versatile! Why not prepare it as a cowboy breakfast casserole and the whole family can help themselves? Add a scoop of scrambled eggs and you’ve got a hearty breakfast that will fuel the family for hours! Or omit the ground beef altogether for a hearty side dish along side this Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole. What a delicious combination for brunch or when you are feeding a crowd!
Cowboy Casserole Recipe
Pin it to your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What Is Cowboy Casserole?
The fun is in the name, isn’t it? Just what a cowboy (or cowgirl!) would want to start or end the day with, right? Ground beef, creamy milk and soup, tater tots and some cheese are all baked together into one tasty entrée!
Let’s Make It!
- Thaw the tater tots on the counter for about an hour. You can also make cowboy casserole with potatoes that are diced or even wedges!
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease casserole dish.
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet until the beef is fully cooked, then drain off the fat.
- Mix together the soup, milk, and sour cream until smooth. Add to the meat mixture and stir to combine. Mix in the corn and the cheese.
- Layer half of the thawed tater tots on the bottom of the casserole dish and pour all of the meat mixture over the top of them. Cover with the other half of the tater tots. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the tater tots are brown and crispy and the cheese is bubbly.
My Favorite Cowboy Casserole Toppings
Here’s where you can get really creative! I like to add a little color to my cowboy casserole by adding some chopped green onions, sliced black olives, or sliced jalapenos for a little cowboy kick! Also, a few dollops of sour cream or some salsa on the top really adds some flavor!
What To Do With Leftover Cowboy Casserole
Most casseroles taste better the next day, don’t you think? This one is no different, the flavors really start to blend. Scoop some up and serve it for breakfast with a fried egg on top, or reheat in a bowl with a sprinkle of extra cheese, some hot sauce and it will be good as new!
More Delicious Casseroles To Try!
Tater Tot Hotdish – an easy one dish dinner!
Easy Taco Casserole – a complete meal.
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole – more tater tot love!
Chile Relleno Casserole – zesty and so delicious.
Cracker Barrel Copycat Hashbrown Casserole – a classic recipe!
Cowboy Casserole Recipe
- Let the Crispy Crowns sit on the counter to defrost for an hour or so until thawed.
- In a large skillet cook the onion until tender and translucent. Add the beef and green pepper and cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain the mixture and place into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the soup, milk, rotel tomatoes, and sour cream. Whisk until smooth. Add to hamburger mixture and stir to combine. Add corn and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Gently mix to combine.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Layer half of the Tater tots on the bottom, pour the hamburger mixture over the top and then layer with the other half tater tots. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese
- Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown and crunchy.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.