Tasty Tortilla Pinwheels are a super fun, south-of-the-border style appetizer that never fails to impress – even though they are crazy easy to make!
Spicy seasoned cream cheese, sour cream, chicken, peppers and green onions are spread across a flour tortilla and rolled up, then sliced into bite-sized pieces. These chicken pinwheels are so quick and easy to make, that even the kids can help out!
Easy Tortilla Pinwheels
PIN IT to your APPETIZERS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- Perfectly portable for a party, a picnic, or game day snacks, chicken pinwheels can be made a day ahead and kept chilled until ready to serve. Use up leftover meat or veggies and the kids will gobble them up. Or switch out the chicken for black beans and make vegetarian pinwheels.
- With basic ingredients that are probably already on hand, chicken pinwheels are ready to serve in minutes. Arrange them around a bowl of salsa, guacamole, this tangy dip, or this really fun mojito-style salsa.
Ingredients & Variations
TORTILLAS: Four tortillas are best because they are soft and pliable. With so many tortilla ‘flavors’ on the market, experiment with green (spinach) tortillas, red (sun-dried tomato), and brown (whole wheat) for an extra colorful appetizer platter!
FILLING: Cream cheese, sour cream, and shredded cheddar make the base for the filling. A Mexican blend or shredded Monterey Jack will work, too. Crunchy bell peppers, black olives, and green onions give pinwheels a Mexican inspired flavor but any combination of veggies will work. Chopped spinach, chopped water chestnuts, diced zucchini, shredded carrots, and shredded brussels sprouts are great, too.
CHICKEN: This recipe is perfect for using up leftover chicken. Shredded turkey or beef, diced ham, and bacon bits are perfect for pinwheels.
SEASONINGS: Southwest seasoning is easy to find, but taco, chili, or ranch seasoning will make new, fun pinwheels, too.
How to Make Pinwheels with Tortillas
It won’t be hard to fall in love with these delicious tortilla wraps.
- Combine the cream cheese with the sour cream.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients (as per the recipe below).
- Spread equally over tortillas and roll up.
- Chill in plastic wrap. Slice. Serve.
What to Serve with Tortilla Pinwheels?
Serve them on their own as a tasty snack or serve them with other fun Taco Night dishes like Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe, a Taco Casserole, CrockPot Chicken Tortilla Soup, and this light tomato salad. Don’t forget the cervezas and margaritas!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
Set the cream cheese out for about 30 minutes before using. This allows it to soften up to make blending faster and easier. Make sure all ingredients are cut or diced into small pieces so the wraps are easier to roll up and slice.
Other Easy Appetizers To Try!
- Pepperoni Pizza Rolls – delicious after school snack.
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos – everyone’s favorite.
- Green Bean Bites – a copycat Trader Joe’s recipe.
- Pizza Dough Breadsticks – so simple to make.
- Crock Pot Jelly Meatballs – just 3 ingredients.
Easy Tortilla Pinwheels
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup bell pepper finely diced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese or pepper jack
- ¼ cup olives sliced
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- In a medium bowl mix cream cheese until smooth, stir in sour cream and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Evenly divide the filling onto each tortilla and roll them up.
- Wrap the tortillas in saran wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before cutting them into slices.
- Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes) so that it is easier to blend.
- Dice ingredients into small pieces so the tortilla is easier to roll.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Easy Tortilla Pinwheels recipe!