Delicate and crispy wonton cups are filled with a creamy and cheesy filling in this Green Bean Bites appetizer.
Appetizers don’t need to be complicated and this recipe proves it! These little cups are so easy to make. They look so impressive and irresistible with their paper-like shells, that guests may not be able to resist eating just one!
Green Bean Bites
PIN IT to your APPETIZER board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What are Green Bean Bites?
- Green bean bites are mini appetizers made with wonton wrappers. A filling is made from a can of condensed mushroom soup, green beans, and cheese. This filling is scooped into the wonton cups and then baked.
- Baked wonton shells turn crispy and golden in the oven. Combine this with a warm, creamy, and cheesy filling, and this appetizer will be a hit with all the guests.
- Serve with other Asian inspired dishes like Crab & Cream Cheese Filled Crescent Rolls, Chinese Broccoli, and Chinese Shrimp Toast. Or for something creamy, spicy and hearty, try this Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers recipe.
Ingredients & Variations
THE WONTON WRAP – These wraps are made of an Asian egg-like noodle that is flat and cut into a larger sheet that is square or round. Generally, they are filled and fried. Wonton wrappers can usually be found in the Asian aisle of the supermarket, or at any Asian store.
THE FILLING – A can of beans or frozen cooked beans can be added to the filling for this recipe. Cheese and a can of cream of condensed soup make this filling so creamy and savory.
VARIATIONS – These cups are so mild-flavored and pair well with almost any addition to the filling. Add some shredded chicken, chopped sausage, crab, or shrimp. Chop and toss in some jalapeno or taco seasoning for a spicy bite!
How to Make Green Bean Wonton Cups
These are as easy as 1-2-3!
- Brush wrappers with butter and bake.
- Mix filling.
- Fill each wonton cup.
- Bake as per the recipe below.
Can They be Made Ahead?
To have these ready to go, cook the wonton wrappers ahead of time. Keep them in the refrigerator (in the muffin tins), until they are ready to be filled and cooked again. The filling can also be made in advance, refrigerated, and added to the cooked wonton wrappers.
Cooked and filled wonton cups will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Luckily they can also be frozen. Now, these are delicate appetizers, so place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and place in the freezer. When these Green Bean Bites are completely frozen, transfer them to an airtight container. To reheat, preheat oven to 350°F and cook until heated through.
Quick and Tasty Appetizers
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms – with show stopping flavor.
- Buffalo Chicken Ring – so impressive!
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies – a simple and hearty appetizer
- Simple Meatball Recipe – versatile and delicious!
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos – perfect for game day.
Green Bean Bites
- 24 wonton wrappers
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 10 ounces canned green beans drained
- 10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar shredded divided
- ½ cup crispy French fried onions divided*
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush each side of the wonton wrappers with melted butter and place into muffin tin. Bake 7-8 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- Mix drained green beans, mushroom soup, 1 cup cheddar, ¼ cup crispy onions, and black pepper in a bowl. Fill the wonton cups with the mixture.
- Gently crush the remaining onions and combine with remaining cheese. Sprinkle over the bean mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and wontons are browned.
- Cool for about 3 minutes and serve warm.
- French fried onions are sometimes called French's Fried Onions, since that is the most common brand name.
- Cook wonton wrappers and prepare the filling ahead of time and refrigerate separately until ready to bake.
- Refrigerate cooked and filled wonton cups for 2-3 days, or freeze for up to a month. Freeze on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, then transfer to an airtight container.
- Reheat in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.