This Easy French Onion Chicken recipe is a cinch to put together.
Prep this easy casserole-style dish ahead of time or prep it in under 10 minutes! With simple ingredients, this recipe makes meal time a breeze, and with its rich and unique flavor, it is always a hit with family and friends! Chicken topped with a premade soup mix then a crispy French fried onion topping, it doesn’t get any easier than that.
Flavorful French Onion Chicken
- We love this baked main dish that has a slow-cooked juicy tenderness. French onion chicken can be served casserole-style straight from the oven!
- This super easy recipe has got restaurant-quality written all over it! Perfect for last-minute company with a side of rice and your fave veggie.
- This recipe is prepped, cooked, and ready to serve in less than an hour! Or, prep in advance and add the topping just before baking.
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Chicken breasts are perfect for single-serving portions, but for a hearty appetizer, cut the chicken breasts into cubes. Boneless pork chops will also work in this recipe!
DIP: French onion dip is easy to find, but a can of creamy onion soup will also work! Mix with a tablespoon or two of apricot jam for a thicker topping and a sweeter flavor!
TOPPING: French fried onions come pre-packaged and really give this recipe a flavorful crunch combined with the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. For a lower carb count, switch out the onions and Panko for ground almonds and crushed pork rinds.
PRO TIP: For extra flavor and crunch, saute nuts in a dry pan until they are slightly fragrant.
How to Make French Onion Chicken
This simple casserole recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Combine the topping and set aside.
- Place the chicken in a casserole dish and cover with the French onion dip.
- Bake for 30 minutes, add the topping, and cook until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165°F.
Serve with some homemade dinner rolls, another baked dish like these asparagus, a crisp salad like this one, and elegant dessert like berry topped pavlova.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Choose chicken breasts that are the same size so they cook at the same rate. Flatten them a bit with a meat tenderizer, if needed.
- Cover the top of the casserole dish if the topping starts to brown too much.
- Let the chicken rest about 5 minutes once it’s removed from the oven so the juices remain sealed into the meat.
Keep leftover easy French onion chicken covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave, serve it cold in a sandwich or top a fresh salad for an energizing workday lunch!
Freeze portions in a zippered bag up to 4 weeks and thaw in the refrigerator until ready to reheat or serve.
Other Easy Chicken Recipes!
- Crock Pot Chicken Florentine – set it and forget it!
- Creamy Chicken Dijon – 15 minute prep.
- Sweet Garlic Chicken Recipe – so flavorful.
- Soy Sauce Chicken Drumsticks – sticky sweet and delish.
Easy French Onion Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless, 5 oz each
- 1 cup french onion dip
- parsley for garnish
- ⅓ cup french fried onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine topping ingredients and set aside.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with french onion dip.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then add the topping and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- If the topping begins to brown too much, cover lightly with foil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- For even cooking, pound chicken breasts so they are similar thickness.
- Allow chicken to rest for about 5 minutes after they are removed from oven.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this French Onion Chicken Recipe!