Try Creamy Sweet Potato Noodles for a tasty pasta alternative!
Everyone knows about zucchini zoodles, but sweet potatoes are perfect for ‘zoodling’, too! This easy recipe makes curly spirals of colorful noodles that are gently cooked and then smothered in rich and creamy sauce made with butter, garlic, cream, parmesan cheese and a hint of nutmeg. They’re a healthy side dish and a great vegetarian entrée!
Creamy Sweet Potato Noodles
PIN IT to your SIDE DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
- Fresh sweet potatoes are a superfood packed with antioxidants, Vitamin A and fiber and they fit perfectly in a Paleo, Whole 30, and low-carb eating plan.
- Sweet potato noodles will be a kitchen staple for so many recipes, as well as a great offering at a picnic or potluck!
- Make sweet potato noodles in place of egg noodles or traditional pasta noodles because they are gluten free, lower in calories, fiber-loaded, and are a bright and delicious dish that the whole family will love, especially the kids!
Ingredients and Variations
SWEET POTATOES: Choose sweet potatoes that are heavy and free of cuts or soft spots. Save the peels to simmer in future stews and stocks.
SAUCE: Heavy cream makes this sauce super creamy. Add a few Tablespoons of sour cream or Greek yogurt for a tangier flavor. Or add in a DIY seasoning or this brightly flavored lemon pepper blend, to make a different recipe every time!
ADD-INS: Stir in some leftover chicken, ground beef or sausage, or add colorful veggies like chopped broccoli or spinach, or frozen peas.
How to Spiralize Sweet Potatoes
Peeled sweet potatoes make the spiralizing process super easy!
- Use a small blade and spiralize each sweet potato according to the spiralizer directions.
- Saute the sweet potato noodles in oil, being careful not to break them.
- Gently use a pair of tongs to turn them over.
How to Make Creamy Sauce
- Saute butter in garlic until fragrant.
- Add heavy cream and nutmeg. Simmer until reduced by half, (per recipe below).
- Remove from heat and whisk in parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Gently toss the cream sauce with sauteed sweet potato noodles and garnish with extra parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve as a vegetarian main, or top it with some hearty meatballs, or pork bites for a protein main dish. Or add as a side dish to a spicy salsa chicken bake or break out the air fryer with this parmesan chicken recipe.
Keep leftover creamy sweet potato noodles in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave, or add them to a delicious chicken kale soup. Freeze leftovers in zippered bags up to 4 weeks.
Other Delish Sides To Try!
- Sweet Potato Fries – colorful and delish!
- Oven Roasted Vegetables – for the holidays or any day.
- Broccoli Casserole – just 15 minute prep.
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower – always a favorite.
- Oven Baked Zucchini Parmesan – as a side or appetizer!
Creamy Sweet Potato Noodles
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled, about 2 medium
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Spiralize sweet potatoes on a spiralizer with the small blade (according to your spiralizer directions).
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add sweet potato noodles and cook 6-9 minutes. Toss gently with tongs, and be careful not to break the noodles.
- While sweet potato noodles are cooking, heat butter and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add heavy cream and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook 3-4 minutes or until reduced by half. Turn heat off and stir in parmesan cheese. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Toss with sweet potato noodles and garnish with extra parmesan cheese if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze leftovers in zippered bags up to 4 weeks.
- Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Leftover noodles without sauce can be added to other recipes.
REPIN this Creamy Sweet Potato Noodles Recipe!