This cheesy broccoli casserole is easy comfort food at its best!
Tender broccoli florets are baked in mushroom soup and cheddar cheese and topped with crispy crackers!
Easy Cheesy Side!
- Broccoli casserole with ritz crackers is a quick side or a hearty vegetarian entrée that goes from the oven to the table in no time at all!
- Five ingredients that are likely already in the kitchen come together in a creamy, comforting dish that’s as budget-friendly as it is delicious!
- Prep in advance and pop it in the oven or cook it and serve it all week long for easy workday lunches and light dinners!
- Use up leftover meat like chicken, turkey, ground beef, or veggies like potatoes, mushrooms, or cauliflower for a heartier dish!
- Serve over egg noodles, rice, or even mashed potatoes. Add a tangy cucumber radish salad and some dinner rolls to soak up all that creamy mushroom sauce.
Ingredients and Variations
Broccoli: Use fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces or frozen broccoli florets. Cauliflower can be used instead of or in combination with broccoli for flavor and color! Feel free to toss in a bag of favorite veggies like green beans, peas and carrots, corn, diced potatoes, or bell peppers.
Soup: Cream of mushroom makes an instant sauce in so many recipes! Other creamy soups to try are cream of chicken or cream of celery.
Cheese: Cheddar cheese has a sharp, robust flavor and it really blends all the flavors of broccoli casserole together! A Mexican blend, mozzarella, or Monterey jack cheese is also a great option.
Topping: Ritz crackers are crisp and buttery and make a great topping for casseroles! Other options are panko breadcrumbs or even crushed pork rinds for a lower-carb crust.
How to Make Broccoli Casserole
- Put all ingredients in a casserole dish and cover with topping mixture.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly (as per the recipe below).
- Let rest before serving.
Tips and Time Savers
Make sure the broccoli is drained well before using so that it doesn’t make the dish too watery. Keep an eye on the casserole as it is baking so the top does not become too browned. If this happens, cover it with foil and continue to bake.
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- 10.5 ounce can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅓ cup milk
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli cuts defrosted and drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients except topping in a 8×8 inch casserole dish.
- Combine topping mixture in a small bowl and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Rest 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.