This recipe for creamy sausage mac and cheese has rich and robust flavors that kids and grown-ups will both love!
Savory summer sausage and macaroni are mixed in a creamy cheese sauce, covered and then baked with a crispy breadcrumb topping to make the ultimate comfort food! This creamy sausage pasta casserole will be a hit all year long!
Easy Creamy Sausage Pasta!
- Start on the stovetop, finish in the oven and have it on the table in minutes!
- Simple ingredients and easy prep make this dish a winner for weeknights.
- Make and take sausage mac and cheese for a crowd and keep it warm in a Crockpot so guests can help themselves!
Ingredients and Variations
MACARONI: Elbow macaroni is tubular so the cheesy sauce clings to it. Other excellent pasta to try includes medium shells, bowtie, or penne.
SAUSAGE: Smoked sausage is precooked and mildly flavored so it’s just the thing to use in this recipe. But Italian sausages can also be used. Diced ham, bacon pieces, or spicy chorizo are also excellent choices. Other meat options include chicken, shrimp, or even meatballs!
CHEESE SAUCE: A jar of prepared Alfredo sauce and cream cheese not only saves time but guarantees delicious results! Make a lighter sauce using milk instead of cream. Cheddar and parmesan can be switched out for shredded Monterey Jack or a Mexican blend.
TASTY ADD-INS: This is a great recipe for tossing in leftover roasted veggies! Or add chopped broccoli, diced bell peppers, peas, or shredded brussels sprouts!
How to Make Sausage Mac and Cheese
- Place cooked pasta in a casserole dish. Heat sliced sausage in butter then add to the pasta.
- Cook cream cheese, Alfredo sauce, and cream until bubbly. Remove from heat and add in cheese.
- Pour over pasta and mix well. Sprinkle on the topping and bake per recipe below.
- Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
What to Serve with Creamy Sausage Pasta?
This hearty dish needs only needs a simple salad, a veggie, and some dinner rolls to make it complete! Try it with a delicious spinach strawberry or a zesty tomato salad. Right next to the casserole, bake some zucchini parmesan, or brown sugar-glazed carrots, and a side of easy dinner rolls. Dinner is served!
Tips For Success!
- Let the cream cheese come to room temperature so it’s easier to mix with the other ingredients.
- Prepare the entire casserole in advance, cover, and chill until ready to top and bake.
- Keep leftover creamy sausage mac and cheese covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat portions in the microwave.
Easy Sausage Recipes!
- Italian Sausage Pasta – in just one skillet!
- Fried Cabbage and Sausage – hearty and delish
- Sausage and Peppers Pasta – 30 minute meal
- Sausage and Potatoes Skillet – quick prep, yet so tasty
Creamy Sausage Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces smoked sausage sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Add to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Heat butter in a medium sauce pan and add sausage. Cook over medium heat until browned. Remove from the saucepan and place in baking dish.
- Add cream cheese to the pan and stir until melted. Add Alfredo sauce and cream, heat until it begins to bubble. Turn the heat off and stir in the cheddar and parmesan.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix well.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top. Bake 18-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature so it will mix easily with the other ingredients.
- Prep everything in advance, cover, and chill until ready to top and bake.
- Refrigerate leftovers covered for up to 5 days.
- Reheat portions in the microwave, or covered with foil in the oven until just heated through. Add a bit of milk if needed.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.