Make an Italian inspired dinner with this easy and delicious Sausage and Peppers Pasta recipe!
Just a few ingredients and one pot is all you need for this hearty and delicious sausage peppers and onions pasta dinner! It’s easy to make, uses simple ingredients and is big on flavor, what’s not to love about this recipe?
Sausage and Peppers Pasta
PIN IT to your DINNER board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Why We Love Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- This hearty, one-pot dish is a crowd-pleaser and a kid favorite!
- Easy to prep, this creamy dish is perfect for a busy weeknight or as a take and bake for a potluck!
- Make in advance and take for school or work all week long!
- Nothing goes to waste in a Shortcut Kitchen! Use whatever pasta, meat, or veggies in the pantry, fridge, or freezer!
Ingredients and Variations
VEGETABLES: Onions, red bell peppers, and tomatoes make the base for this tangy sauce, but a vegetarian version can be made with broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, or mushrooms! No time for a homemade tomato sauce? Use a jar of pre-made marinara or Alfredo for a white sauce!
MEAT: Ground Italian sausage comes in mild, medium, or hot, so the sky is the limit to the flavor profile. This recipe also does great with ground beef, shredded chicken, even smoked sausage, or mini meatballs!
SEASONINGS: Italian herbs and spices like oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and basil give the dish its depth, but a store-bought packet of Italian dressing seasoning is the perfect shortcut!
How to Make Sausage Pasta
Choose pasta shapes that are heavy enough to hold the tomato sauce. Penne, bowtie, rotini, or a heavy spaghetti like bucatini are all great choices.
- Cook pasta al dente, drain and set aside.
- Brown ground sausage, add onion & bell pepper. Cook, then add tomatoes & tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer (as per recipe below.)
- Add pasta and simmer until thickened. Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese & fresh basil.
PRO TIP: Make a fancy basil garnish by stacking about 5 basil leaves together. Roll them up from the wide stem end to the tip and then sliced the roll horizontally in thin ribbons (this is called chiffonade). Sprinkle them over the top of the finished dish.
Serve witha slice of cheesy bread and a brightly flavored tomato salad. Don’t forget to finish the meal with a traditional Italian style dessert like tiramisu cupcakes or an almond pound cake.
Time Saving Tips
- Use a frozen vegetable medley of carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and lima beans to save time in Step 2, or eliminate the sausage and use this mix for a vegetarian dish.
- For an extra crisp cheesy topping, place the pan or serving dish under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Freeze the leftover pasta water and pop out a cube or two to thicken soups and sauces without changing the flavor.
Other Sausage and Pasta Recipes
- Italian Sausage Pasta – 30 minute dinner!
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup – easy crockpot recipe.
- Cheeseburger Casserole – so cheesy and delicious!
- Easy Jambalaya Recipe – to spice up dinner time!
Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- 8 oz pasta bow tie, rotini, penne, or your favorite
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 pound Italian Sausage mild, medium or hot
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes undrained, about 1 ⅓ cup
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese for garnish
- fresh basil chopped, garnish
- Salt water and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil and cook sausage, 2-3 minutes. Add onion and red bell peppers meat is completely cooked. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.
- Turn to low heat, stir in seasonings and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta. Simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Sausage and Peppers Pasta Recipe!