This cabbage and sausage recipe is comfort food at its best!
Tender chunks of sweet cabbage and slices of savory sausage are lightly cooked in a seasoned broth and ready to enjoy in minutes!
Easy Skillet Meal!
- Fried cabbage and sausage is a one-skillet wonder so it’s perfect for busy weeknights when prep and cleanup time is short! Prep ahead and have it ready to go.
- Perfect for bigger families, this sausage and cabbage recipe is budget-friendly, includes healthy cabbage, and it’s delicious!
- For parties and potlucks, add a can of cream of celery or cream of chicken soup and potatoes and bake it casserole style. Let everyone help themselves!
- Double up the batch and serve it all week for hearty dinners and low-carb workday lunches as the savory flavors will just continue to blend.
Ingredients and Variations
Cabbage – Choose heads that are free of torn or discolored leaves and cut them into bite-sized pieces so it stays firmer. Mix and match with purple cabbage for more color, if desired.
Sausage – Smoked sausage brings a big flavor to this recipe. Look for robust sausages like Polish Kielbasa, Andouille, Italian sausage, or any variety of summer sausage. Cut each piece thin so they cook at the same rate and keep them in their casings so they stay together. Be sure to add extra cooking time for sausages that aren’t pre-cooked.
Extras – Bulk up fried cabbage and sausage by tossing in a bag of frozen diced potatoes or any mixed medley of vegetables. No need to thaw, just increase the amount of chicken broth. This is also a great recipe for using up leftover veggies like mushrooms, peas, celery, or zucchini.
How to Make Fried Cabbage and Sausage
- Brown sliced sausages in a large skillet. Remove them.
- Saute onion and stir in remaining ingredients and cook (per the recipe below).
- Add sausage back to the skillet and heat through. Season and serve hot.
What to Serve with Cabbage and Sausage
This delicious dish doesn’t take much to round it out! A simple cucumber radish salad or a leafy strawberry spinach salad is all you need. Add some homemade dinner rolls to soak up that delicious sauce.
- For uniform pieces of cabbage, cut cabbage into 4 pieces and remove the core. Then cut each piece in half (optional) and slice the cabbage into smaller pieces.
- Keep leftover fried cabbage and sausage in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
- Reheat leftovers on the stovetop or place them in a casserole dish covered with foil in the oven.
Fried Cabbage and Sausage
- Cook sausages in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in a large saucepan until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon butter, add onion, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in cabbage, garlic, and broth. Cook uncovered until cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Season as desired.
- How To Prep Cabbage:
- Remove outer leaves.
- Cut cabbage into four or eight pieces then remove the hard inner core.
- Chop or cut into smaller pieces with a sharp knife.
- Slice sausage with the casings on to ensure the meat stays juicy and intact.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days and freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
- Reheat on the stovetop, covered with foil in the oven, or quickly in the microwave.
- Add leftovers to other recipes if possible.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.