This quick and easy Fried Cabbage and Sausage recipe makes a hearty homestyle dish that everyone will love!
Slices of smoked sausage are sautéed with chopped cabbage, onion and garlic and then simmered in a seasoned broth. It’s a delicious, yet economical one-skillet classic that goes from the stovetop to the table in just minutes!
Fried Cabbage and Sausage
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Easy Stovetop Recipe!
- Cabbage and sausage is a hearty, healthy, and mouth-watering dish that brings everyone to the table! Low-carb followers love this recipe, too!
- Budget-friendly for larger families, fried cabbage and sausage gives more ‘bang for your buck’ in one convenient recipe.
- Make this crowd-pleasing dish and keep it warm in the crockpot so everyone can help themselves!
Ingredients and Variations
SAUSAGE: Polish sausage has a strong, smoky flavor that’s accented by hints of garlic and cloves. Choose other bold-flavored sausage varieties like Italian sausage or even Andouille and adjust the cook time as necessary to ensure they are fully cooked through.
CABBAGE: Cabbage stays firm and crispy in this recipe. Cook it with purple cabbage for more color.
ADD-INS: Bulk it up by adding mushrooms, sliced zucchini, or a bag of frozen diced potatoes, no thawing necessary!
How To Make Cabbage and Sausage
Have this meal ready to go in no time!
- Brown sliced sausages in a large saucepan.
- Remove browned sausages and saute onion, then stir in cabbage, garlic, broth and cook.
- Add sausage back to the pan to heat.
- Season as desired.
What To Serve with Sausage and Cabbage?
Tips For Success!
When preparing the cabbage, remove the outer leaves. Cut the cabbage into four or eight pieces then remove the hard inner core. Chop or cut into smaller pieces with a sharp knife.
Keep the casings on the sausage slices to ensure the meat stays juicy.
Store leftover fried cabbage and sausage in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks. Reheat leftovers on the stovetop or covered with foil in the oven. Or use leftovers to make a casserole with eggs and potatoes, or in a soup with a can of cream of celery or cream of chicken.
Other Easy Recipes!
- Sausage and Peppers Pasta – 30 minute dinner.
- Sausage and Potatoes Skillet – easy one pan meal!
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon – savory and delicious.
- Italian Sausage Pasta – 5 minute prep.
Fried Cabbage and Sausage
- Cook sausages in 1 Tablespoon butter over medium heat in a large saucepan until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon butter, add onion and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in cabbage, garlic, and broth. Cook uncovered until cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Season as desired.
How To Prep Cabbage:
- Remove outer leaves.
- Cut cabbage into four or eight pieces then remove the hard inner core.
- Chop or cut into smaller pieces with a sharp knife.
- Slice sausage with the casings on to ensure the meat stays juicy and intact.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days and freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
- Reheat on the stovetop, covered with foil in the oven, or quickly in the microwave.
- Add leftovers to other recipes if possible.
REPIN this Fried Cabbage and Sausage Recipe!