This Sausage and Potatoes Skillet is the perfect, easy meal that everyone will enjoy. Sausages, peppers, and potatoes are pan fried with savory onions for a hot, one pot meal that is great either for family breakfasts or nights when you are on the go!
Smoked sausage and potatoes go really well together and who doesn’t love a recipe that lets you throw everything together in one pot? One pot meals like Fried Cabbage With Bacon or Crockpot Chicken Fajitas are fantastic when time is short and tummies are hungry! Smoked Italian sausage is delicious in this recipe, but where I’m from you wouldn’t dream of making it without everyone’s favorite Polish kielbasa. Any way you slice it, fried potatoes and sausage is a classic meal that’s always a hit!
Sausage and Potatoes Skillet
Pin it to your MAIN DISH BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What’s In This Skillet?
- Smoked Sausage – sausage that is smoked fries up fast because it’s precooked, and it’s complemented by the other ingredients. You can use any kind of smoked sausage, just pick your national favorite! Italian, Polish, Ukrainian, Hungarian, you can’t go wrong.
- Peppers and Onions – always a winning combination in any meal and a full of health benefits too!
- The colorful peppers in this dish make for such a pleasing presentation. I love red and green bell peppers, but yellow and orange peppers are also delicious. Choose whichever variety you prefer!
- You can use any variety of onion for this dish. I do try to avoid red onions because they can discolor the potatoes a bit while cooking. If you don’t mind this, red onions are a very delicious option.
- Potatoes – russet potatoes work the best in this dish. Truly the centerpiece of this recipe, russet potatoes have an earthy flavor and texture that is very complimentary to the other ingredients in this skillet. If you do not happen to have russet potatoes on hand, any variety will taste great, too!
How To Make Sausage And Potatoes Skillet
- Saute the diced onion in butter until translucent. Set the onions aside.
- Add more butter, olive oil, and fry the potatoes with the seasonings. Make sure you cover the pan, so the potatoes cook faster. *Tip- an old family friend taught us that if you finely chop celery and add it to fried potatoes it creates amazing flavor! So if you feel like trying fried potatoes a different way, go ahead and add some diced celery. One or two stalks should do it.
- Once the potatoes are cooked add in the smoked sausage, peppers and onions, and cook until the peppers are tender crisp.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if you wish, and serve steaming hot right out of the pan! It’s comfort food everyone can appreciate!
Storing The Leftovers
I find that one pot meals like this one usually get eaten up super quick, but if there are any leftovers, just store them in the fridge in a tightly covered dish. Because the sausage is smoked, it should last longer in the fridge than other meat does. Potatoes have a pretty good shelf life as well. You should be able to keep these leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.
Alternatively, freeze the leftovers in a sealed container and enjoy them another time. Trust me, no one will complain!
Other Delicious Potato Recipes To Try!
Pork Chop & Potato Bake – a complete meal.
Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole – perfect for a pot luck.
Crockpot Corn Chowder with Potatoes and Bacon – hearty and satisfying.
Funeral Potatoes – a classic potato casserole!
Potato and Sausage Skillet
- 1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes diced into 1/2" cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 lb smoked sausage sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until tender. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 Tablespoon butter and olive oil to the pan. Add potatoes, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened about 15 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook about 10 minutes more. Stir in onions and peppers and cook until peppers are tender crisp.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if using.