If you’re looking for a colorful and nutritious side dish, try these delicious Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots!
Deliciously sweet and caramelized carrots are made easily on the stovetop with this brown sugar carrots recipe. And they also bring a festive touch to any meal, making them the perfect addition to your holiday menu! And the best part is they are made in just one pot so clean up is a breeze!
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
PIN IT your SIDES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentslessMeals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
We have the one-pot stovetop easy solution for a quick and healthy side dish! A side of brown sugar-glazed carrots makes any meal special! Make ahead, store in the refrigerator and then simply reheat in the microwave!
Is it Better to Boil or Steam Carrots?
Many vegetable recipes recommend boiling or steaming prior as a first step because it cuts cooking time, technically, either method works. Here are two methods for steaming vegetables.
- Microwave: Place carrots in a microwave-safe bowl and add about an inch of water to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and poke some holes in the plastic so the steam can vent out. Cook on high for about 5 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Remove plastic away from your face to avoid the steam.
- Stove Top: Place carrots in a steamer basket in a saucepan with about an inch of water. Cover the saucepan and cook on high until the carrots are tender about 10 minutes.
How To Make Glazed Carrots
Brown sugar glazed carrots are ready in 3 simple steps!
- Simmer prepared carrots until tender. Drain well.
- Melt butter, brown sugar, and salt in the same saucepan and simmer until smooth.
- Return carrots to pan and stir until coated. Serve immediately.
- Aim for uniformly sized carrots so they cook at the same rate. Baby carrots, fresh peeled and sliced carrots, or even sliced frozen carrots will work. Before cooking, thaw frozen carrots on the countertop or in the microwave, and drain.
- For a honey-glazed version, switch out the brown sugar for honey and add a touch of cinnamon as a garnish before serving. Maple syrup will work in a pinch, too.
- Leftovers will last up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Reheat brown sugar carrots in the microwave or on the stovetop with a tablespoon of butter. Adjust seasonings and serve.
What To Serve With Glazed Carrots
Other Delicious Side Dishes To Try!
- Easy Broccoli Salad – easy 15 min prep!
- Creamed Peas and Potatoes – a family favorite.
- Funeral Potatoes Recipe – potluck ready.
- Roasted Butternut Squash – excellent holiday side dish.
- Zucchini Casserole With Stuffing – serve as a meatless entree!
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- 1 pound carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Peel carrots and cut into ½" slices.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and simmer 5-6 minutes or until carrots are tender-crisp (do not overcook). Drain well.
- Add butter, brown sugar, and salt to the same pot and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until brown sugar melts and is smooth.
- Stir in carrots. Serve warm.