Chicken Burrito Bowl
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Burrito Bowl is a quick and easy dinner fix. It’s a zesty combo of spicy shredded chicken layered with rice, beans, cheese, and other traditional burrito fillings.
What makes this easy chicken burrito bowl healthy are the tasty, fresh healthy fillings like a taco salad bowl, but without the wrap or shell. It’s easy to make and a lot less messy to eat than the traditional version too!
Chicken Burrito Bowl
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
What Exactly is a Burrito Bowl?
It’s a Southwestern-inspired meal and more of a salad than a burrito since it’s served in a bowl and eaten with a fork. Meal prep and cleanup is easy, requiring just one pan for cooking the chicken, a mixing bowl, and a cutting board.
These are the ingredients needed to make the best chicken burrito bowl ever tasted:
- Base: white or brown rice
- Protein: chicken breasts, black beans
- Veggies: red onion, romaine lettuce, cherry or grape tomatoes, avocado, corn
- Toppings: cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro
Let’s Assemble It!
Once the meal prep work is done, a chicken burrito bowl comes together super quickly.
Prepare the Chicken:
- Coat the chicken with taco seasoning and oil.
- Sauté on low heat until done, then slice, or shred using two forks.
Layer the Burrito Bowls:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, corn, tomatoes, onion and half of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place cooked rice in the bottom of each bowl.
- Top with lettuce, then a layer of the bean and corn mixture & top with shredded chicken and avocado slices.
Garnish and Serve:
Serve with your favorite toppings or garnishes, and a side of corn chips. Lightly toasted soft flour tortilla wedges are also an excellent crunchy side. Make them by cutting each tortilla into six triangles and place in the toaster oven until crispy.
To Make in the Slow Cooker:
Place thoroughly thawed chicken in a slow cooker. Add a cup of warm water and cook on high for about an hour or more, until the chicken registers at least 165°F with a meat thermometer.
What Toppings Should I Add?
Kick up the flavor of your burrito bowls with an array of tasty toppings, garnishes and sides.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Sauces: sour cream, guacamole, salsa, tomatillo sauce
- Toppings: chopped cilantro, lime wedges, feta cheese, cojito cheese
- Sides: jalapeno cornbread, jalapeno popper bread, cheesy breadsticks
The next time you’re looking for a family-friendly meal that tastes great and doesn’t cost a fortune, try a tasty chicken burrito bowl!
Mexican Inspired Chicken Recipes
- Salsa Chicken Bake – super easy to make
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – 3 ingredient chicken!
- Chicken Enchiladas – full of flavor
- Cheesy Chicken Taquitos – 30 min meal
- Crockpot Chicken Fajitas– set it and forget it!
This chicken burrito bowl recipe is a zesty combo of spicy shredded chicken layered with rice, beans, cheese and other traditional burrito fillings.
- 4 small chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked rice or brown rice
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn defrosted or drained
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 2 cups romaine lettuce shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- cilantro, feta cheese and limes for serving
- dressing to taste
- Toss chicken breasts with taco seasoning and olive oil. Preheat a pan over medium heat and add chicken breasts.
Cook 6 minutes, flip over and cook an additional 7-10 minutes or until cooked through and chicken reaches 165°F. Rest 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, divide rice over the bottom of 4 bowls. Top with remaining ingredients. Slice or shred chicken and add to the bowl.
- Top with salsa, sour cream or your favorite taco salad dressing.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)