Braised Steak And Mushrooms is an easy recipe that can be made all year long using the simple technique of braising.
This easy steak recipe, made with mushrooms and onions, comes out juicy and tender every time. And it has a savory sauce that’s not just mouthwatering, but hearty and comforting too! Round steak recipes are popular, but this one-pot wonder is the only one you’ll need!
Braised Steak and Mushrooms
PIN IT to your ENTREES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Fork Tender Beef!
- Braising is an easy technique that makes even the toughest cuts of beef tender and juicy. Braising meat ‘low and slow’ guarantees tender, flavorful results every time.
- This recipe is an economical and hearty way to feed a large family from just one pot.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or cauliflower rice for a low-carb main dish.
Ingredients and Variations
STEAK: Round steak is widely available and very affordable. Cube steak can be used instead and is often found pre-tenderized which is a real time-saver. Flank, chuck, London broil, and skirt steak will also work.
SAUCE: Beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of thyme are blended with the juices from the steak. Whisk in some sour cream for a creamier sauce, or add some chili sauce for a little flavor kick!
VEGETABLES: Other veggies to add are chopped spinach, sliced zucchini, stewed tomatoes, or sliced water chestnuts.
How To Make Braised Steak and Mushrooms
Master this braising technique for tender and juicy steak all year long.
- Pound and season meat.
- Brown steaks on both sides in oil. Remove steaks and set them aside.
- Cook mushrooms and onions, then add steaks back to the pan.
- Combine beef broth, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over steaks.
- Cover and bake (as per the recipe below).
- Remove steaks from the broth and make the gravy.
What To Serve with Steak?
Hearty steak and mushrooms needs a side that is just as hearty! Try this with some garlic mashed potatoes or rosemary roasted potatoes. For an easier side try some rice a roni, or one pot creamy garlic pasta. Almost any veggie accompanies steak, but some of the best are air fryer green beans and bacon, or brown sugar glazed carrots. Don’t forget a bright and tangy spinach and strawberry salad and maybe some peanut butter bars for dessert!
Tips For Success!
Round steak cooks fast because it is so thin, so be careful to not over-brown it since it will cook more in the oven. Remember, low and slow will deliver rich and savory results every time!
Store leftover braised steak and mushrooms in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and freeze portions for up to 4 months.
Other Easy Main Dishes To Try!
- Beef Rouladen – a unique, yet delish dish.
- Mushroom Hamburger Steak And Gravy – just 5 minute prep!
- Simple Meatball Recipe – a versatile recipe to have.
- Creamy Beef Mushroom Stroganoff – a favorite dinner.
Braised Steak and Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Pound meat with a mallet to ½ inch thickness. Season with salt & pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven, and brown steaks on each side (add more olive oil if needed). Remove and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and butter to hot dutch oven. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes then add the steaks back to the pan.
- Combine beef broth, thyme and Worcestershire sauce, and pour into pan. Cover and bake in oven for 2½-3 hours, or until fork-tender. Remove steaks from liquid and set aside.
- Make a slurry by combining cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring liquid to a boil and whisk cornstarch mixture in, a little bit at a time, until it reaches desired consistency.
- Brown steaks only slightly, then cook low and slow in the dutch oven.
Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days and freeze portions for up to 4 months.
REPIN this Braised Steak and Mushrooms recipe!