Beef Rouladen consists of tender beef rolled up with mustard and pickles, and then baked with a creamy gravy.
Even though it may look difficult, anyone can make this famous German inspired comfort food dish. Serve it as a hearty main for every day dinners or as a special entree for company. Everyone will love all the interesting and delicious flavors and textures found in this savory stuffed beef roll.
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Best Beef Rouladen
- This Rouladen recipe makes a hearty and delicious, comfort food main dish. Rolled beef is seasoned, then brushed with a tangy sauce and stuffed with pickles, and served in a savory gravy.
- Stuffed beef Rouladen is easy to make ahead and reheat, or prep ahead and bake on site.
- This savory main dish needs only a simple side and salad to make it a full meal deal!
Ingredients and Variations
BEEF: Choose a round or a flank steak with some marbling (to enhance flavor). Some markets actually label cuts of beef specifically for Rouladen.
SAUCE: Nothing goes to waste in this recipe! Mustard, pickle juice, and the juice from a can of mushrooms along with a little salt and pepper make the most savory sauce.
ADD-INS: Besides pickles, beef Rouladen can be stuffed with fresh spinach leaves, kale, thinly sliced fresh mushrooms, or red onions. Slices of gruyere or Swiss cheese are also extra flavorful ingredients to roll up in.
How To Make Rouladen
This savory dish is a German inspired recipe that the family will love.
- Pound beef slices to an even width (as per the recipe below).
- Spread mustard on each roll and top with bacon, and onion, and finish with a pickle.
- Roll up lengthwise and secure with toothpicks.
- Brown each roll in a skillet with oil.
- Oven roast with broth, pickle juice, and optional canned mushrooms.
PRO TIP: For best results, just lightly brown the rolls so they don’t overcook and become tough. They will continue to cook in the oven.
GRAVY: Remove Rouladen from the dish and set it aside. Boil juices on the stove and whisk in a slurry made from a mixture of 3 tablespoons corn starch and 3 tablespoons cold water until desired thickness is reached. Use only enough of the slurry mixture to create a nice, thick gravy.
Let the butcher do all the work and have them slice and tenderize the meat for you! Prep ahead, cover and bake just before dinner.
Need an even easier way to cook beef Rouladen? Simply prepare per recipe directions and cook in a crockpot on low for 7-8 hours.
Save leftover beef Rouladen in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and reheat on the stovetop, in the microwave or covered with foil in the oven. To freeze, place beef rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze, then transfer them to a zippered bag for up to 6 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Other Delicious Beefy Mains!
- Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe – quick and easy in the Instant Pot!
- Easy Beef Stroganoff – a family favorite.
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry – simple skillet entree.
- Beef Burgundy – rich and flavorful.
- Braised Steak and Mushrooms – fork tender!
- 6 slices beef round or thinly sliced flank steak
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion sliced
- 6 dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- 1 can mushrooms with juice optional
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place beef slices on a cutting board and lightly pound using a meat tenderizer.
- Spread a layer of mustard over each piece of meat and season with salt and pepper. Lay bacon and onion on top and finish with a pickle.
- Roll up each Rouladen lengthwise and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat butter or oil in a pan and brown the outside each roll. Place in a roasting dish or dutch oven, add broth, canned mushrooms (optional) and pickle juice. Roast 90-120 minutes or until fork-tender.
To Make The Gravy
- Remove Rouladen from the juices, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Bring juices to a boil. Combine corn starch with water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the juices until it reaches desired thickness (There may not be a need for all the cornstarch mixture)
- To save time, purchase beef that has been sliced and tenderized for you.
- Batch cook these beef rolls, for quick and easy weeknight dinners. Try cooking them in the crockpot on low for 7-8 hours for a "set it and forget it" method.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 weeks. A simple trick is to freeze rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet, then transfer them to a zippered bag for long term storage.
- Reheat leftovers covered with foil in the oven, on the stovetop or in the microwave. Thaw frozen product in the refrigerator before reheating.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Beef Rouladen recipe!