Chicken Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Pot Pie is filled with veggies and chicken all mixed in a creamy sauce made from chicken broth and milk then baked inside a flaky pie crust!
Chicken Pot Pie
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
With a little prep work, this recipe is super easy to make! It uses refrigerated pie crusts for added convenience or skip the crust completely and try making soup version.
How to Make the Filling:
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- Saute onion in butter, add flour and seasonings to create a roux.
- Whisk in broth and milk until smooth.
- Add cooked chicken, potatoes, and frozen vegetables.
How to Assemble:
- Spoon filling mixture into the pie crust and top with the second crust.
- Crimp the edges and cut slits to allow the steam to escape.
Optional – Make a simple egg wash by scrambling a raw egg and brushing it over the top to help seal the edges and give it a shiny, golden color once it’s baked.
- Bake until golden brown. Let it rest 15 minutes before serving.
Or try making individual servings with this mini pot pie recipe.
What to Serve With It
This easy homemade entree is definitely an entire meal unto itself with all the meat, veggies, and starchy crust all in one pan!
But a cold salad on the side with a tangy vinaigrette makes a cool and crunchy addition that rounds out this wholesome family dinner!
How To Reheat
Reheating this pie is super easy!
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cover in tin foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Or skip the oven altogether and microwave individual pieces until heated through.
Home Cooked Comfort
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – easy and delicious!
- Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf recipe – surprise binding ingredient!
- Easy Beef Stroganoff – hearty and filling meal
- Ham and Potato Soup – comfort food staple!
- One Pot Creamy Garlic Pasta – ready in 15 mins!
Chicken Pot Pie combines veggies and chicken in a creamy sauce all baked inside a flaky pie crust!
- 1 large baking potato diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 onion diced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables defrosted
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts uncooked
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Add potato, to a small saucepan, fill with water and boil until tender.
Cook onion in butter until tender. Add seasonings and flour. Cook 2-3 minutes.
Add broth and milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in chicken, frozen vegetables, and potatoes.
Unroll the first pie crust and line a deep dish pie plate. Fill with chicken pot pie filling and top with second crust.
Seal the edges and cut slits to allow steam to escape. Bake 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly and crust is golden.
Rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Use fresh or frozen veggies of your choice. Try adding broccoli, asparagus or green beans for a different flavor.
- You can use a premade crust (any brand will do) or make your own.
- Letting the chicken pot pie rest before serving allows the filling to set and for the pie to stay intact when slicing and serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)