Chicken Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Pot Pie is one of the most iconic entrees any home chef can make! All the traditional veggies are served up in a creamy sauce made from chicken broth, milk, and a little butter and flour then baked inside a flaky pie crust!
Chicken Pot Pie
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
With a little prep work, this chicken pot pie recipe is super easy to make using refrigerated pie crusts! Or skip the crust completely and try making chicken pot pie soup.
Prep the Filling:
- Dice the potato and boil in water until it is soft, drain and set aside.
- Saute the diced onion in butter and add flour and seasonings. Cook until the onion is soft and golden and the flour has thickened into a roux.
- Whisk in the broth and milk until the sauce is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Add cooked chicken, frozen vegetables and cooked potatoes.
Assemble the Pie: Line a greased, deep pie plate with one thawed pie crust before pouring it full of the creamy chicken pot pie filling!
- Gently spoon the chicken and vegetable mixture into the pie crust and top with the second crust.
- Crimp the edges around the pie and cut slits in a decorative pattern to allow the steam to escape.
- Optional – you can make a simple egg wash by scrambling a raw egg and brushing it over the top to help seal the edges and give it a shiny, golden color once it’s baked. This is totally optional but it really does look amazing!
- Bake until the top is golden brown and remove from the oven. Let it rest 15 minutes before serving.
What Goes With Chicken Pot Pie?
This easy homemade chicken pie is definitely an entire meal unto itself with all the meat, veggies, and starchy crust all in one pan! But a cold salad on the side with a tangy vinaigrette makes a cool and crunchy side dish and really rounds out this wholesome family dinner!
How To Reheat Chicken Pot Pie
Reheating this pie is super easy! Just cover it in tin foil and put it in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or a microwave. Be sure to adjust the seasonings with extra salt and pepper and it’s good to go!
Home Cooked Comfort
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – easy and delicious!
- Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf recipe – surprise binding ingredient!
- Easy Beef Stroganoff – hearty and filling meal
- Ham and Potato Soup – comfort food staple!
- One Pot Creamy Garlic Pasta – ready in 15 mins!
Chicken Pot Pie combines all the traditional veggies in a creamy sauce of chicken broth, milk, butter & flour all baked inside a flaky pie crust!
- 1 large baking potato diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 onion diced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables defrosted
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts uncooked
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add potato, to a small saucepan, fill with water and boil until tender.
- Cook onion in butter until tender. Add seasonings and flour. Cook 2-3 minutes.
Add broth and milk and cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in chicken, frozen vegetables, and potatoes.
Unroll the first pie crust and line a deep dish pie plate. Top with second crust and seal edges.
Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Bake 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly and crust is golden.
- Rest 15 minutes before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)